Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BernetteR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 10:40 AM
    How much does it cost to replace a transformeron the heating and air conditioner?
    How much does it cost to replace a transformer on the heating and air conditioner?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Depending upon the unit but today's prices are high. Probably 50.00 for the transformer and with service call and labor another 150.00. I would think 200.00 might be today's number.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Mouser Electronics lists a Stancor P/N SWC-824 for $24.42 that puts out 4 amps at 24 volts. Likely you can find one for less than $50 at a hardware or home center. Just make sure the new one has as high, or higher rating than the old. A couple of screws and 4 wires to instal it. If the old one didn't have a fuse protecting it, I would add an inline one for a few bucks more.

No sense paying over $100 for labor for a simple little job. Such charges aren't a rip off, just the huge overhead in service work.
    jeb1972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 11:32 AM
    You were right on the money! Just had the transformer replaced today and I paid $195. The ac repairman broke it down to $130 for the part and labor and $65 for trip charge. He also flushed the line. One hour later I have AC... THANK GOODNESS with this summer heat.
    lyng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2015, 01:27 PM
    Hello jeb1972, You comments were very helpful concerning AC Transformer installation. Are you able to share who you used to do the repairs? I believe, I have the same problem. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Will air conditioner work if heating furnace is out? [ 1 Answers ]

Our propane heat furnace is no longer working and needs to be replaced. Will the air conditioner part of a central air/heat still work if we decide to use something other than central heat?

Air conditioner condenser air temp [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost? I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs...

Heating and air conditioner problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a digital thermostat and the fan will blow out air whether it is in off position or auto. It will run a long time and shut off occasionally but come back on. I have even turned the main switch off at breaker panel and it still runs?? It blows cool air. I have just changed the filter. ...

Air Conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

This Summer I installed an 18000 BTU Air Conditioner in a living room window. Will it harm the unit if I leave it in the window for the Winter? I live in Minnesota.

View more questions Search