Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irpadin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Water well pressure switch
    I'm having problem with my water well pressure switch. The old one keep clicking on and off when we turn on the water. I put a new one, and its still doing the same thing. Also I could see the pressure go up and down . Can some one please tell me why its still doing the same thing. Thank you
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 06:00 PM

Finally! Someone writes in with an easy problem (I hope). Your problem is with your pressure tank. It is waterlogged, which means there is no air in the tank. That results in a situation where there is nothing for the water to "press" against. If you have a bladder tank, then there will be an air valve at the top. If so, then you will probably note that water will come out if you press it. The fix is twofold:

1. Drain your tank (turn system off... open low level faucet until no more water comes out). Pressurize the tank with an air compressor to 30# or so. Turn the system back on. This will get you by for a month or two.

2. Replace the tank.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/water/Bad-Water-Tank.htm

The site above has a good description of this problem.
    teesaurusrex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
    My pressure switch was clicking on and off too. We bought a new tank and put in a new pressure switch and immediately, it was still clicking. Someone told us that the tannk already came with pressure in it so we didn't check it. Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? Thank you.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
    You might have jumped the gun. Did you check the old tank by pressing the air valve at the top? If water came out, then the tank was shot. However, if air came out for a few seconds, then the tank is good.

Additionally, if the tank is bad and waterlogged, then you will only notice the shortcycling when water is being used. If it is shortcycling when water is not being used, then the more likely cause is a leaking checkvalve.

Is your pump in the well or above ground?
    SolairWater Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 05:49 AM
    The pressure in your tank should be 2 lbs below your off pressure. Example: your pump kicks on at 40 and off at 60, you should have 38 lbs of air pressure in the bladder (pressure) tank. If it kicks on at 30 and off at 50 you should have 28 lbs.
    SolairWater Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SolairWater View Post
    The pressure in your tank should be 2 lbs below your off pressure. Example: your pump kicks on at 40 and off at 60, you should have 38 lbs of air pressure in the bladder (pressure) tank. If it kicks on at 30 and off at 50 you should have 28 lbs.
    Revised, your pressure should be 2 lbs below your on pressure
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Solair, you have posted on a two year old dead thread. Look for dates on the left of each thread. Always nice to have another member, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Pump Pressure Switch [ 14 Answers ]

I own a large acre property and am having some plumbing issues. I’ll try and explain this best I can. The Old System: Water was pumped out of the well, through a pressure tank, a holding tank, and then a couple hundred feet up a hill to a 5000 gallon metal tank. From here the water was...

No Water Pressure Switch help [ 7 Answers ]

I noticed my water pressure was not as good as it used to be, and that when we used water, I did not hear the switch kick on as it once did, so I went out side and seen that the switch was staying closed, so I turned off the breaker, to see if the switch would kick out and reset its self. Well this...

Water heater pressure switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem powervent 84 gallon tank. The control valve on the unit has an LED indicator light that is flashing 4 times. The code says that if it is flashing 4 times then the pressure switch is open. What does this mean, and how do I fix this. I have no hot water.

Water pressure switch [ 6 Answers ]

My water supply comes from a well. Recently my water pressure started acting up. As we use water and the water pressure drops it gets to a point where the water stops flowing for about 5 to 8 seconds before the water starts flowing again. Someone told me that my water pressure switch might need to...

Well pressure switch turns off water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a submersible well pump with a pressure tank and a square-d pressure switch. I have it set to cycle between 30 and 65 lbs. Sometimes when the garden sprinklers are on and it swiches stations so two stations are on momentarily and the pressure is close to the low setting (30lbs) it will...

View more questions Search