Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotMama2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Harassment by a Family Member
    We have an inlaw who has been harassing us. This person has some mental issues and due to several events we have asked her not to contact us anymore. Since then she has contacted us by telephone, email, then later again by mail in the form of a very nasty letter. That I can prove. However sporadically other things happen which we cannot prove is her, but most likely is. It always seems to occur after we have talked or visited with other family members. Most recently, a subscription to an online service came through to us that we never ordered. It contained personal info that someone would have had to provide, including a birthdate, place of birth and our unlisted home phone number. There are not many people we can think of who would know this particular information. We have had zero contact with her in over one year. Is there anything legally we can do, such as get an order of protection?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 07:49 AM

Report the harassment to the Police; take the Police Report(s) and PROOF of harassment (not suspicions) to your local Court and request an Order of Protection.

It's as simple as that.
    peabodyt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2013, 12:12 AM
    I have a family member that has been harassing my daughter, husband and I. We have had to move because it got so bad! Well, now she has found out where we live now. She came to my house with a gun. In front of my only child and was going to kill my husband. Lucky the police got here when they did. She told my little girl that if she did not get in the car with her and come live with her. She was going to make sure that my child would end up in a "foster home." She has made plenty of threats to me and my family. She has contacted Social Services on us before saying we are not good parents and we do drugs. Which is not TRUE! My husband and I took drug test for 6 months. My social worker said that my family member needed help. She closed the case and now she is making threats again to all of us to do it again, since she knows where I live now. She does have mental issues and has admitted them. She has had four nervous break downs, and much more mental issues. The cops told her if she contacted us again that they would arrest her, the last place we lived. I have it all documented and the cops gave me the report. I am trying to keep my family safe! Where she don't kill my husband or hurt my daughter or myself. I don't know what to do anymore! If, I go and press charges on her. Since, she knows where we live now. I know, without a shadow of a doubt she will come and kill us!! What can I do to protect my family from her? She is mentally ill and I know she will hurt us or kill us! She came to my home with a gun! She is serious about killing us! I know she is because she is my mom! I know my mom! She is not in her right mind to do this to us! Ever since she has had these nervous break downs she has been like this. She admits she has a problem. But, my brother and I cannot get her any help. Because, she will admit she has a problem to us but not to anyone else. Please! Help! Before one of us get killed!! What can I do? This has been so stressful on me and my family and my only child. My child keeps saying to me. What's wrong with grandma? Why is she doing this to us? My daughter said we are a happy family and she wants to kill us mommy!! It makes me cry =( Does anyone have any advice to help keep my family safe? Please help before it's too late! I am begging for help!!

Concerned Parent!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 AM
    You should be talking to the Police, every mental health agency you can contact. "We" are strangers, don't know where you live, are pretty much unable to offer more than that.

You have been denied protective orders?

Why, if the claims were groundless, were you forced into drug testing for 6 months? Do the Police/Courts believe what she says?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you do when you take a family member in? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom couldn't take care of me and I was about to be taken away and so my aunt took me in. And when I lived with my mom I could be myself and she didn't put me down for the way that I was or for having feelings. And growing up living with my aunt and her family I began to hate myself and denied my...

How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Bad family member [ 11 Answers ]

Hi gang, You all know I'm an old retired dude with a quacky sense of humor sometimes. I have loved being here with all of you and helping people who ask for it.. I've come to see us all as family and I also know we sometimes disagree, and that's fine because we are all different with different...

View more questions Search