Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melanie_661 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2003, 01:59 PM
    Plasma Donation
    Is Diarrhea a possible side effect of donating plasma? Also, are there any long term effects?
    kayhols Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I donate plasma and often have looser stools afterwards... so I would say 'yes' , from personal experience! I too wonder about long term effects, even though I can't find any info at all.
    mbriggs78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 08:30 AM
    I was donating plasma twice a week for almost three months and I have been having diarrhea constantly, especially after eating out. My theory is that because my immune system was weakened after donating plasma all of the time, my body couldn't fight off any microorganisms that may be present in the food. Never had a problem with home-cooked food.
    Cheryl Elliot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Yes, from personal experience. I donate platelets rather than plasma, but the process is similar, and about two hours afterward I unfailingly have this explosive reaction. I even tried eating a cheese omelet a few hours before, but cheese's legendary 'binding' action did NOT help. Lol And it's happened to me even when there was more than a month between donations, so I don't think my immune system was impaired. Maybe it has something to do with the saline IV they pump into you to help replenish your fluids.. I know an enema is saline introduced from the other end - - maybe that's why it takes two hours?

Today I got my fifteen gallon pin. Trust me, I earned it. Ha!

~Cheryl Elliot
    mbriggs78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
    IDK. I've stopped donating plasma. It's been three months now. My stool is still kind of loose, but it's getting better slowly. It was good money, but this old boy couldn't take it. I guess I'll never be doing that again. Thanks for the reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Donation of lot journal entry [ 2 Answers ]

How do I record donated lot of fair market value of $25,000? I have Land $25,000 Cash $25,000

Blood Donation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if every pint of blood is tested when you donate blood. Thanks

Blood donation and AIDS [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to know... how safe donated blood is from the HIV considering a person who has the HIV can't be detected if he is still in the window period.if he has donated blood during that period and wasn't detected as HIV +ve... isnt his blood contaminated? Won't it transmit the virus to the...

Long term effects of donating plasma [ 7 Answers ]

I have been donating plasma since 1991 every two weeks straight, missing one full year in 1995. I have concerns and have been searching the web, but, have not found any clear straight forward answers regarding the "longterm effects on donating plasma" on a continual basis. (long term effects...

Tax help on donation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there,

View more questions Search