Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zetablue1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Confused About Adjusting Entries
    I am not sure if you can help me. I am confused when it comes to adjusting entries. The problem below was given as homework, can you tell me if I have done this correctly and if not where did I go wrong? My answer is at the bottom... thanks!

Question:

E3-7 The ledger of Piper Rental Agency on March 31 of the current year includes the following selected accounts before adjusting entries have been prepared.

Debit Credit
    Prepaid Insurance $3,600
    Supplies 2,800
    Equipment 25,000
    Accumulated
    Depreciation—Equipment $8,400
    Notes Payable 20,000
    Unearned Rent 9,900
    Rent Revenue 60,000
    Interest Expense –0–
    Wages Expense 14,000

An analysis of the accounts shows the following.
    1. The equipment depreciates $400 per month.
    2. One-third of the unearned rent was earned during the quarter.
    3. Interest of $500 is accrued on the notes payable.
    4. Supplies on hand total $700.
    5. Insurance expires at the rate of $200 per month.

Instructions
    Prepare the adjusting entries at March 31, assuming that adjusting entries are made quarterly. Additional accounts are: Depreciation Expense, Insurance Expense, Interest Payable, and Supplies Expense.

Answer:

GENERAL JOURNAL J1
    Date Account Title & Explanation Debit Credit
    2008 Adjusting Entries
    Mar. 31 Insurance Expense 600
    31 Prepaid Insurance 600
    (to record insurance expired quarterly)
    31 Supplies Expense 2,100
    31 Supplies 2,100
    (to record supplies used)
    31 Depreciation Expense 1,200
    31 Accumulated Depreciation Expense - Equipment 1,200
    (to record quarterly depreciation)
    31 Unearned Rent 3,300
    31 Rent Revenue 3,300
    (to record quarterly revenue for rent provided)
    31 Interest Expense 500
    31 Interest Payable 500
    (to record quarterly accrued interest on notes payable)
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 31, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Zeta, you've got the right adjusting entries, hitting the proper accounts for each one, and for the correct amounts.

The only thing that's not apparent in your answer is which amounts are debits, and which are credits.

Looks like you may have tried to indicate your Dr's and Cr's with spacing, but note that the forum's mechanism erases what appears to be extraneous spacing. So just put parentheses around your credits, and any amount without () will be assumed to be a debit.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 01:03 AM

Better yet, put Dr and Cr in front of everything. I find it easier to read.

(Not to mention that in my experience, trying to get beginners to accounting to use parenthesis for credits simply confuses them and reinforces the idea that debit and credit somehow mean plus and minus when they mean left and right.)
    kollie bent sor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Your answers are quiet correct. You were able to understand those account that were affected and how they were affected during you journal entries. I must congratulate you for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting Entries and Closing Entries [ 6 Answers ]

The Flash Pan Company manufactures cooking products. On August 1, 2007, the company borrowed $125,000 from creditors. Semiannual interest payments of $7,500 are to be made to creditors beginning January 31, 2008. On July 1, 2007, the company purchased a 1-year insurance policy for $10,000 and...

Preparing adjusting entries and closing entries [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot find any examples about this question on my book or anywhere else Please help.~ The following list includes selected permanent account and all of the temporary accounts from the December 31, 2008, unadjusted trial balance of Emiko Co. a business owned by Kumi Emiko. Use these account...

Journal Entries, Adjusting Entries, and Trial and Adjusted Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? I'm confused on how to post these and how to prepare the Adjusted Trial Balance. Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed. July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July...

Adjusting journal entries from adjusting column of work sheet [ 2 Answers ]

How can I prepare necessary adjusting journal entries (a) through (e) by using the following information from the Adjustments columns of a 10-column work sheet. Interest recievable (d)$880 Office supplies ...

Adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

Which one of these pieces of information do I need to make an adjusting entry for and what is the entry? 1) other expenses was charged during the year when supplies were purchased. Supplies on hand at 12/31/08 total 4,300. (Supplies currently in the supply account is 4,000.) 2) on October 1,...

View more questions Search