Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrina Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2013, 03:26 PM
    How can I remove the lock nut on the flusher connected to the toilet tank
    Hi there,
    Am trying to replace flush handle but the lock nut - plastic won't budge, instructions say simple and easy. The process and concept I understand however, the lock nut to be turned clockwise won't cooperate, and I
    Don't want to break tank.
    Thanks,
    patrina
    In answer to your question, we would like asap notification. However, we do not wish to pay any charges. Please confirm with us. Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 28, 2013, 04:47 PM
    The nuts on toilet flush levers are a left hand thread. In other words they screw on backwards. In order to remove, turn it as if you wanted to tighten.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2013, 09:40 PM
    Please watch the you tube will show you how to replace the flush handle, Thanks

John

Flush Handle Replacement - YouTube
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2013, 03:19 AM
    I just replaced mine and had a similar problem. The instructions on the package say to use a hacksaw to saw off the nut if you can't get it to move. And hk is right, it does turn counter clockwise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2013, 06:04 AM
    They make a tool e especially for flush valve nuts. It's called a "spud Nut Wrench. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Tom he has problem with the flash handel nut not the flush valve, Thanks.

John

May 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Hi Scott,

Yes thank you... you are understanding exactly what my problem is... However, I am very hesitant to use a hacksaw (I am not even sure I have one)... I am fearful of breaking the tank... and then besides replacing tank and perhaps entire toilet ----what a mess that would create.

So yes... the nut which is plastic will not budge... and yes I and attempting to move it clockwise which is the correct way. Can you or anyone else offer another option for me to get it off.
    Thank you Scott, and everyone for all your help.
    patrina
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2013, 07:05 AM
    You are aware that the flush handle nut is a left handed thread don't you? B It turns to the right to loosen. These are plastic threads and don't rust or corrode.
    If you can't turn it then cut it. Good luck, Tom

May 30, 2013, 08:52 AM
    Yes Tom, I am aware of that and that it turns to the right. However, thank you for your comment and trying to help me...
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Hello Patrina,

Try all the options that the experts have recommended, if you still have problem the last option is to go and buy a hacksaw blade, just grab some electrical tape and wrap it around one end of the hacksaw blade, now you have a great makeshift handle, try to cut the nut be very care full and take your time, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My toilet stem allows too much water to fill the tank and leaks out of the flusher ho [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet stem allows too much water to fill the tank and slightly leaks out of the flush handle hole. I don't have a ball to bend! How do I adjust the float level? Dianna

Threaded nut under toilet tank [ 4 Answers ]

We need to get the toilet tank off and be able to put it back on. The wing nut on the left seems to be threaded. There seems to be no access inside the tank to hold the top of the bolt. If we hack saw it off then how can we re-attach it later?

Close-coupled toilet flusher unit [ 4 Answers ]

Having recently changed the flusher unit in the toilet system the large donought shaped washer will not make a sufficient seal. I have removed and replaced the washer numerous times, every occasion resulting in a small seapage through the bolt hole. I know its not common practice but what would...

View more questions Search