Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsShaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Harassed By Code Enforcement
    My Mother In Law Recently Passed Away And Her Estate Is In Probate And I And My Son And His Pregnant Girlfriend Live In The House And Code Enforcement Is Constantly On Us Even Though We Are Trying Very Hard To Clean The Place Up The Yard Actually Looks Nice For Once We Have a Car That Was Wrecked And It Has A Car Cover Over It He Has Treatened To Write Me Up On It If It Is
    Not Gone By June 3 He Sent Me A Letter Back In March Telling Me That I Had To Get My Mother In Laws Dogs Registered With The City And That I Had Until The 2nd Of This Month And The 2nd Of Next Month To Get This Done Well On The 13th Of Last Mont He Wrote Me A Citation On The Dogs For Not Having Them Registered With The City He Sent That Citation To Me Now I Have Explained To Him That My Mother In Laws Estate Is In Probate At This Time And Those Dogs Are Part Of Her Estate And That Legally Im Not Suppose To Do Anything With Them Cause There Has Not Been An Appointment Of A Person To Take Care Of The Estate Now If This Isn't Herrassement Then What Is And What Can I Do About It?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Wow. Capitalizing the first letter of every word is very weird, and hard to read.

The dogs and the house belong to the estate of your mother-in-law? It appears that the code enforcement officer should have cited the personal representative, not you. Who applied to be appointed personal representative in probate? Normally, that only takes a day or so; why the holdup?

I don't think whoever told you that "legally [you are] not supposed to do anything with [the dogs] cause there has not been an appointment of [a personal representative]" was correct. If a P.R. has not yet been appointed, and you are taking care of the dogs, you are probably responsible.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2013, 05:05 PM
    The 3 of you get to LIVE in her house. Take care of what has to be done for the dogs (unless you would rather they be taken to the pound, then do that or find homes for them), and tow away the car.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
    His is not harassment, it is the code enforcement doing their job.

Just register the dogs, and get rid of ( or fix the car)

It is merely you not being willing to fix the issue. You were warned, now you pay the fine.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2013, 03:54 PM
    Private property is owned and controlled by private individuals. There is no monetary or proprietary interest that a government at any level has in controlling property belonging to a private individual. The property owner decides with whom he/she wishes to negotiate, procure a contract, dispose of or improve property.

The property owner has guaranteed full control over his property and no ordinance, law, or person under the color of law, is to interfere with, violate or deprive the property owner this Civil Right.
    Expert

May 6, 2013, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet View Post
    Private property is owned and controlled by private individuals. There is no monetary or proprietary interest that a government at any level has in controlling property belonging to a private individual. The property owner decides with whom he/she wishes to negotiate, procure a contract, dispose of or improve property.

The property owner has guaranteed full control over his property and no ordinance, law, or person under the color of law, is to interfere with, violate or deprive the property owner this Civil Right.
    Which planet are you from?
    current pert

May 6, 2013, 05:20 PM
    mr.yet resides in the 'republic of maryland' and is a student of common law.
    I don't think he appreciates building codes and inspectors, health and fire departments, and zoning boards. I don't think he has had any run ins over eminent domain though. I'm merely guessing.
    I'm not so fond of some codes and some zoning regs myself, but snarl about it in private, or just break the law. If I have a big pile of dirt and don't put a straw and plastic barrier around it, and someone tells me I have to because it MIGHT be a regulation soon, I throw the dirt back in the hole rather than comply, and rather than fight.
    If I have to pay $200 to a bunch of 'commissions' just to build a garage, including wetlands and rivers that are far away, I pay it. After all, the volunteer fire department put out the brush fire I started and didn't fine me for not having a burn permit.
    If the building code requires a wash basin with every toilet, something I find stupid for a little closet toilet - are they going to monitor if I wash my hands after I pee? - I just don't have a powder room.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2013, 07:42 AM
    Yes, bad thing about students of common law, the US operates under codes and statues,
    current pert

May 7, 2013, 08:04 AM
    mr.yet could move to a common law country, or even Louisiana, which has a common law base.
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, bad thing about students of common law, the US operates under codes and statues,
    Maryland Constitution clearly states Common law to and can be use in conjunction with Code and Statutes, Which will include the UCC.
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Which planet are you from?
    Well planet Earth, where I don't reside under the Corporate rules and regluations by which all Bar members, governments use against the people.
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    mr.yet could move to a common law country, or even Louisiana, which has a common law base.
    You are thinking of "Civil law".

The rest of the U.S. and the British Commonwealth have the "Common Law".

Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet View Post
    Maryland Constitution clearly states Common law to and can be use in conjunction with Code and Statutes, Which will include the UCC.
    True (if you mean "... Common law too and... "). But what does the Uniform Commercial Code have to do with anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop City Code Enforcement Harassment [ 6 Answers ]

I am being harassed by the city code department. There are a few home owners in my neighborhood that have nothing to do but complain and pull their pud. I understand the complaints must be followed up by an enforcement division officer visit. At least by drive by, if not a knock on the door. It is...

Code enforcement officer harassment? [ 3 Answers ]

The code enforcement officer in my town asks us to submit to standards above everyone else simply because we are well off. Our neighbor is constantly complaining to them about us (as they wanted to purchase this property but could not afford it)& we don't have any recourse... There is no home on...

How do I stop harassment from my code enforcement department? [ 4 Answers ]

Last year I had several letters from them. First it was the front yard, I mowed it once a week but that was not good enough. So I mowed it twice a week. Then I received notices about trash on my property. I checked everywhere in the yard. I was told that there were 2 or three mcdonalds cups...

Code Enforcement [ 3 Answers ]

I am a business owner in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Recently the police was on my warehouse asking for all my licenses, after I present the documents he asked by a certificate of occupancy, I can not provide this because I am not the owner of the storage I am renting. I explain I am not the...

View more questions Search