Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pidandan Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:25 AM
    How to fix the air intake manifold causing rattle noise while accelating
    Car Experts,
    My car has a rattle noise while accelating, mechanic said it is not a big safety problem ,but the repair for this air intake manifold will cost around $600. I want to repair it by myself. What I can do to fix it, it is kind of annoying. Thank you very much!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
    It's not that bad. Loosen the air filter box, Remove the intake hose (spring clamp) from the throttle body. Remove the throttle body bolts (3), let it hang there. From leaning over the pass side fender, pull the large vacuum hose off the intake and start taking the 3 bolts and 2 nuts off the intake manifold to the cyl head.
    If you put the car on car ramps to start with, this will be a BIG help. You have one more bolt down there at the bottom back side of the intake. And 1 or 2 more vacuum hoses.
    Now you're ready to pull it out. Be gental, it's tight coming out, but doable.
    All gaskets come attached to the new maniflod, so don't even worry about them. There's foam packing between the block and intake. Make sure that doesn't get disturbed. (you'll see it when you pull it off)
    Good luck and have fun.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
    ... just to add to that, there are 2 (12mm) bolts on the bottom back side. Not one like I mentioned earlier. It will also help if you pull off the plastic cover covering the valve cover. This will give you extra clearance when pulling the manifold off.
    The vacuum hose for the brake booster, pull that off at the metal line on the firewall. Install the hose on the new manifold before reinstalling.

These tips are on the house. Happy wrenching and keep the band-aids close by.
    chakitabun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Some times the noise goes away, is that still the air intake?
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2011, 12:40 PM

What you driving
    andrew91_dm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Actually I had the same problem. Every time I would push the gas down really hard it would make a rattling noise. All you have to do is take off the filter box and the rest of the air intake off. Then you will be looking into a huge hole which leads to the air intake manifold. In that hole you will see a valve. The valve is usually what is making that noise. So all I did was take some cleaner to it and sprayed it on the valve and it went away. So all you have to do is clean it up. But becareful when turning the car back on because when you do, you need to push the gas all the way down to the floor so that the cleaning spray will shoot back out of the manifold so it won't stay in the engine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh Air Intake [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a wall mounted exhaust fan (about 260 cfm) in a 2 car garage in Arizona (20x20x10high). I run this fan periodically to remove exhaust fumes and to suck out hot air. My garage is fairly tight as far as the seals are concerned and I've determined that I need a fresh air vent in...

Rattle noise underhood while accelating [ 2 Answers ]

Car expert I just test drive a toyota camry 2003, I notice the rattle noice while accelating. I have a 2002 camry, it is really quiet, the seller told me that is because the 2003 camry has a timing chain instead of timig belt, I don't know anything about car, but I think something is wrong with...

Return air fan making rattle noises [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help me before my a/c goes out. It is working & cooling just fine right now, with the exception of the rattle & noise the fan is making when it is on. The noise starts about 15-25 seconds after the fan turns on. It was so loud last night that it woke me up. It starts...

A/C air intake blocked [ 1 Answers ]

My A/C wasn't putting out cold air. I checked the outside unit and discovered that a plastic drycleaning bag had been sucked onto the air intake side of the "box" and was totally covering the air intake. I removed the plastic bag and the unit has been working, but I don't think that it is...

View more questions Search