Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 18, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Is 180-200 pounds fat?
    I'm a female and 21. About 5.6 tall. I'm around 180-210 pounds. I haven't gotten weight in a while. But is around that much heavy for me? Like, unhealthy? My fiancé tells me that I'm fine and I tell myself I'm fat. I hate the way I look and I've tried to lose weight in school~lost a lot but only because I starved myself. I eat more then 2 meal's a day, but if I go hungry I get sick. I just want to know what other people think. I think that the main reason why women my weight feel ugly is because the world wants women to be 110 or w/e. Slim and sexy. Why can't a curvy women be sexy? I mean I still have a hourglass figure. (I posted a question on this subject) so give me any thoughts. Thanks
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Mar 19, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Check your Body Mass Index here: Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
    BMI is a number, that takes your height and weight into consideration , to give you an idea of whether your weight is within a healthy range or not.

From the info you gave, you could be overweight to obese so it may be time to start paying more attention to your weight and health.

The point is not to go hungry. Take a look at your diet and start making healthy changes. (A good start is to cut out high sugar intake like soda.) Then move more. (Again, a good start is to take the stairs or park farther and walk.) Don't push too hard. Start slowly and stay focused. Good luck.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:02 AM
    You're an unhealthy weight, which I think I mentionned in my other posts.

I know you are happy with your body and that's fantastic. I suggest you start excercising a little more and change your diet for something a little healthier.
    Lose weight slowly rather than fast dieting. It's much healthier for you that way.

Good luck! :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
    I think you need to love yourself, first no matter what weight you are. Low calorie dieting slows metabolism, making it difficult to lose, a small reduction in calories like 15% is going to protect lean muscle and is less likey to slow down metabolism, Starving yourself is not the key, in fact if you don't eat enough calories your body responds by slowing down your metabolism, it goes into starvation mode, hoarding every calorie. 1600--calories is now a good average for women. The world may want women to weigh in at 110 lbs, but if you look around they are few and far between, they occur mostly in the ads for clothes. A curvy women is sexy but we want you be curvy and healthy! The only advice I have to to try to go natural with your diet, cut out the fatty, sugary and salty, it's bad for future diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. And eat more grains, fruits, veggies and leaner cuts of meats. Take care your body and it'll take care of you, and don't let what the media says, bother you, their not the real world, this is how the fashion people make money>:)
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Mar 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
    I am a 20 year old female who is 5'8" and 147.5 lbs. I am currently wanting to loose weight not because I am fat but beause "I want to be healthly and fit". If you feel good about yourself than stay the way you are, if you aren't you HAVE TO and I mean HAVE TO have the motivation to loose weight or you will never do it. And first off for you to loose weight doesn't mean 'Hey I am going to starve myself" it means balancing healthier foods. Cut back on the sodas, fast food, eating late at night. I mean there are tons of web sites that will tell you what are good/bad foods. Also when you feel hungry eat. Most people don't have the time to but in reality it is healthier to eat about 5 times a day but in smaller portions instead of having a massive load of food 3 times a day. Continuing this on top of maybe walking 30 minutes a day doing stomach crunches, etc. can help your body more than you can ever imagine. Good luck and try to keep you hopes high.

Mar 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Yea I mean I think I'm chuby, but my fiancé likes the way I am. I'd rather have meat on my bone's then be skinny and a tooth pick. I don't have any motivation to lose weight because I tried years ago and it doesn't work. I don't eat that much really. My fiancé thinks I do, but he is a freak. He eat's once a day and is never really hungry. I grew up with a family that eat's hearty, I'm german lol. But I don't think I'm that bad. There's people out there who are 500 pounds. I'm like 190. The problem is the world has a problem with curvy people and then make us feel bad by calling us fat. Or telling us we need to change. Personally, I think most men want a curvy women (who isn't healthy or ashamed of her weight). That's what I am. Sure I have not much slef esstem, but if my fiancé thinks I'm fine and if I ultimately think I am then I don't see how I'm unhealthy. Who comes up with these rules that you should be this weight or your unhealthy. Some person who doesn't know these ''unhealthy'' people. As long as I can walk to the mailbox and go to buy groceries, I'm good. When I'm as fat as a door then there's a problem.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Many many studies of heart disease and diabeties and related problems "comes up" with these rules. There is a significant amount of evidence that if you have a BMI over 30, then you are at a MUCH higher risk to these kinds of conditions.

I'm glad that you are happy with your weight. But you sound like you're making excuses to yourself now. I agree that curvy is sexy, and I don't have a problem with overweight people. I just want you to realise the risks to your health.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Technically, it is unhealthy according to your BMI (I'm 5'7 and 180) and "average/healthy" for my height would be about 145, but I want to be 115.

I work out at least 3 times a week for at least one hour and I am trying to get back on track with eating. No more fast food and junk you know?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Your fiancé will say he likes you just as you are. But that is not the point here - you say you do not like yourself the way you are. Taking the word diet out of your goal and replace it with healthier choices. I know that is tough at times. But look at ways you can cut fat and calories without feeling starved. If you ever go and out eat, there are healthier menu items now. Typing in www.healthydiningfinder.com then inputting your zip code, a list will come up with restaurants and menu items, so that you will know what is the healthiest selections. Logging into FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal will access a personal calorie computer, where you input the foods you are eating and get a report showing whether you are on track to losing weight. Walking is an easy exercise and free. You can map out your walking course at www.usatf.org where you can measure your current walking course or plot out a new one to maximize your efforts.

Good luck to you.
    kingbob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
    You're a little chubby but women look better with some curves
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynefreak
    I'd rather have meat on my bone's then be skinny and a tooth pick. .....The problem is the world has a problem with curvy ppl and then make us feel bad by calling us fat. Or telling us we need to change.
    How is calling thinner people toothpicks or saying men don't find them attractive different to calling a larger person fat and saying men don't find them attractive.

It works both ways. I know you are trying to comfort yourselves and others but evidence people struggle with weight in the other direction is on these bourds "Help I'm too thin." Personally I don't make a distinction, unhealthy is unhealthy - but it doesn't always mean it is the persons fault and calling people names is never productive.

I know you never intended any offence but this is quiet a common situation when people feel one thing is acceptable and the other not.
    MomOf-3-Boyz Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Well OK so according to the BMI your over weight... but have you talked to your Dr about this? I would!! I am WAYYYYY overweight I weigh about 180ish and am only 5'4" I am very happy with my weight and if it weren't for the health issues I would stay this way forever! But my family has tons of health issues... Diabetes, High Blood pressure , heart attacks... and the list goes on and on... So for my health & for my kids I am cutting out the soda... its diet but the sodium is bad... and I have decided to cut out Pasta... seeing as I eat that at most meals... even breakfast... I am Italian and we love our pasta... My Dr feels that if I can make just those 2 changes I will loose enough weight to motivate me to even... eeekkkk WORK OUT ! We will see... Anyway I think you should talk to a Dr and see what they think... hey your weight could be something medical you might have a thyroid issue.. its worth a check into anyway :p Good luck!

Jul 18, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I don't have a doctor currently. No money. The reason I'm chubby is because currently I don't have a job, no friends and really nothing to do during the daytime. I hate taking long walks and doing activities because I get so tired. Trust me it is painful. Walking to the mailbox up the hill gets my sides sore. Lately my fiancé has said that I am a bit chubby and I should try to do some work on it. Kind of not possible. We don't have money to go to a gym, buy equiptment or anything. I eat when I'm hungry for the most part and even if I didn't, I'm not going to starve or eat nasty food just to lose weight. As I said, in shool I had the will to go without food, and lost 10-20 pounds doing that. Also I was a much better weight, like 150-which my fiancé liked and friends as well. I walked to school like everyday, and walked home. So I walked a lot. But when I got out, I didn't have anywhere to walk. So I just didn't waste my time. My goal is to try to lose 20-30 pounds somehow. Some way that isn't going to put me out, cost money and drive me nuts. Sounds impossible.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
    What do you mean "eat nasty food"? Fruit and veg are the most delicious things on this Earth, a bit of lean meat is a delight! If anything is nasty it's the oil-saturated crisps and chemical-laden ready meals that I suspect makes up your diet.
    You don't need to pay to go to a gym, exercise is free. Get some running shoes, go walking, go jogging. Sure it hurts, but it gets better as you do more of it. No pain no gain honey. You have to want it. It doesn't sound like you do. You're happy the way you are, you'd rather be lazy than healthy. I've tried my best to give you motivation and good facts, but you won't listen. It's enough to make me want to give up trying to help you, and giving up is not something I do lightly.

Drop the excuses and change your lifestyle, for your own sake.

Jul 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I eat veggies all the time. I eat chicken and hamburger once in a while. I eat pastas, eggs, milk, sometime's TV dinners with veggies and healther choices. Sometime's candy, sometime's chip and dips. I eat mac and cheese hotdogs once in a while. I eat rice and noodles too. So how is my diet bad? I eat twice a day too. I think chemical foods are nasty, some are okay but most aren't. I meant nasty food to be diet foods, health bars and drinks. Werid foods etc. I don't agree with being called lazy. I do my part as needed. I do want it and from when I wrote this question until now I've wanted it more lately. I don't really understand how I've not taken your advice. Or listened. And why would you give up on me? I haven't done anything wrong excpet rely to a comment. Why does everyone assume its all an excuse? If I know I have a problem, and try to do something about it how am I making an excuse? I'd love to lose weight, but if I run I get sick and tired. Like I'm going to faint. I'm affriad of hurting myself and feeling emense pain. I'm not good with pain. So thanks for your advice, but don't judge me. I'm not lazy and that's almost as bad as calling me a fat a s s.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 08:57 AM
    You need a healthy diet and exercise. Because currently you can't exercise, you need to take it slow and build up your stamina. Start walking, then walk further each day, building up, then you can try jogging short distances etc.

You have to push yourself, you won't damage yourself by walking, do you have a friend that could go with you and motivate you?

Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 AM
    No I don't have any friends where I live and my fiancé works. So I'm pretty alone in this lol.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
    [QUOTE=Raynefreak]I eat veggies all the time. I eat chicken and hamburger once in a while. I eat pastas, eggs, milk, sometime's TV dinners with veggies and healther choices. Sometime's candy, sometime's chip and dips. I eat mac and cheese hotdogs once in a while. I eat rice and noodles too. So how is my diet bad? QUOTE]

Don't eat TV dinners they are the worst thing for you! Change from white pasta and rice to brown same with the bread- it'll fill you up more. Make sure you're drinking low fat (semi skimmed) milk. Don't eat candy and chips they are not good for losing weight. I'm afraid I would say that diet sounds quiet bad. Yeah nobodies a saint but there are a few small changes you could make to make sure you are not fighting an uphill battle.

What kind of sauces do you eat your meat in? Stick to tomato and clear sauces and avoid creamy ones.

What quality of red meat do you buy? If you are buying cheap hamburgers/hotdogs, they are mostly rubbish (lips and noses!) and fat to hold them together. Save up and eat less but better quality ones. Better still stick to lean meat and fish. Fish doesn't have to be expensive - I know I'm a student and have zero money.

And remember portion control. You have to eat the right amount as well.

So you stay at home and get bored? Take up a hobby, focus on getting the house really nice (your hubby will like this!), volunteer help look after kids- they really get you moving.

Yes everyone feels rubbish when they first start exercising but you work past it. You won't do any permanent damage walking as Capuchin said. Start easy and build up - make a record of how far you walked each day - how long etc. Build it up. You can use tin cans as makeshift weights for toning exercises. Make a skipping rope out of washing line. Use chairs to do tricep dips with. You don't need to afford a gym/ fancy equipment improvise with what you have.

You just need to start with small changes so that you don't shock your system all at once. Here's one start jogging on the spot during TV commercials. Do starjumps as well. It's a brief burst of exercise and if you do it every time there is one the workout really builds up- without you even realising it. I used to do this when I was unemployed to stop myself completely slobbing out. Made me feel so much better- got me up to do other things as well.

Good Luck - I hope you give some of these a try

Jul 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
    We buy low fat hamburger, chicken, and that's really the only meat I eat. I get a salad like every time I go to the store. With veggies, ham a little bacon LITTLE, and a bit of dressing. Itaian. I love salad. We don't buy much else. Our budget is low. I eat fish-tuna and shrimp without sauses. We use low fat milk and not too much butter/margrine. We eat eggs too. We mostly eat pasta, rice and veggies. I thought that WAS good lol. I eat 2x's a day. That's less then I was brought up eating.

But honestly... does walking around really make you less fat? LOL... I don't get how that works. Mostly I see people on TV using home gyms or the ball and they lose weight doing that.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Any exercise loses weight and helps you to do more vigorous exercise. It's a starting point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Distributer turned 180 degrees on honda? [ 3 Answers ]

I am suspecting that my distributer is turned 180 degrees the wrong way on my 89 honda civic hatchback? I already went and put the number 1 piston all the way to the top and checked the rotor.. when I checked that it was not at the number one plug? It was 180 degrees off? I am confused because I...

Tax returns for L1 and L2 for less than 180 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Texas, I came in US on October 1st 2006 with my wife and want to file for the tax returns. As I understand I will get the whole amount I paid as tax since I stayed here only for 3 months in 2006. I have the SSN but my wife doesn't have neither SSN nor ITIN. 1) Can I e-file my...

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

180 degree copper elbow? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone makes a 180 degree copper elbow. I want to run a length of 1/2 inch copper pipe back next to itself (if that makes since.) Using two 90 degree elbows keeps the two pipes too far apart. I want them to run next to each other. I thought of using soft copper pipe but didn't...

View more questions Search