Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 03:57 PM
    Muriatic acid down the pipes?
    Our house was built in 1920 and is surrounded by trees, so we know there are sewer problems because of roots. My husband also thinks lime deposits in pipes inside the house are preventing free flow of liquids and wants to dump muriatic acid down the toilet, for instance. Is there a better solution to dissolve the lime?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
    I would not suggest using acids. Are you having draining issues in the whole house, or just a toilet, or sink, etc? Lime buildup normally only effects fixtures, not the main drain lines. Roots can be controlled with chemicals, but the line needs to be cleared with an auger before they will do much good. Can you give us a bit more info about what your issues are in regard to drainage? Im betting the other pros will be here shortly.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    I would not suggest using acids. Are you having draining issues in the whole house, or just a toilet, or sink, etc? Lime buildup normally only effects fixtures, not the main drain lines. Roots can be controlled with chemicals, but the line needs to be cleared with an auger before they will do much good. Can you give us a bit more info about what your issues are in regard to drainage? Im betting the other pros will be here shortly.
    My issue would be muriatric acid going into a town system
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 05:18 PM
    Small amounts of muriatic will be so diluted by the time they reach the city sewer or septic tank that you wouldn't even know they were there. My concern with these acids are about the well being of the people in the home that are handling the acids. Burns, suffocating , etc are the main reasons that only professionals should use these substances. And in reality, true professional plumbers won't use the stuff. That's why we have augering machines.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Hi WG

If your home is built from the 1920's then it may be a good time to inspect the drain line by having a local drain company use a camera to video tape the entire length of the drain line (to the city sewer system).

This can certainly cost a bit of money (get 3 estimates), but it will let you know exactly what is happening inside the drain line! It is what I would do at this point!

Mark
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Get a reputable sewer service out to clean-out your main sewer line. They'll be able to tell you where they are a problem, and better yet, have them run their camera down there to really see what's up down there. Sort of a colonoscopy for your house. The cost will be worth the peace of mind you'll get knowing everything is fine (or what you need to do to fix the problems). Acid can upset the balance in a private septic system. Municipal systems, not a problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:57 PM
    My husband thinks there is a lime buildup in the pipes from the toilet bowl down into the main pipe (whatever it is called). The sinks and washtub drains and pipes are clear, but the toilet seems to be stopping up or at least not flushing completely since he replaced our old toilet several years ago with a new model that uses less water. (Aha -- new information!).
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:59 PM
    The sinks and washtub drains use less water so that is not a clear indicator here!

Lime could certainly be an issue, but if you have pipes from 1920, I'm still thinking you have issues beyond the basics!

I suppose it is possible that the toilet wax gasket got squished when setting the toilet and could be an issue... maybe? This would require your husband to lift the toilet and inspect the wax gasket...

What happens when you drain a washing machine or a full tub?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    What happens when you drain a washing machine or a full tub?
    No problem.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Lift the toilet and inspect the wax gasket... may be the issue right there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
    Lift the toilet and inspect the wax gasket...may be the issue right there.
    He said he will reset (reseat?) it, but had hurt his back and is waiting for that to calm down. So that would be the next effort?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
    I think it should be. If the toilet is the only issue at this point, it suggests that the wax gasket could be causing issues!

If lime is the issue, it should show up at the flange, so lifting the toilet and inspecting the wax gasket and the drain pipe is the next step!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 07:09 PM
    I think it should be. If the toilet is the only issue at this point, it suggests that the wax gasket could be causing issues!

If lime is the issue, it should show up at the flange, so lifting the toilet and inspecting the wax gasket and the drain pipe is the next step!
    Thanks. Maybe this coming week he will be able to do that.

What do you think of the new toilets that don't use much water (low flush)?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 05:26 AM
    Today's 1.6 gallon per flush (GPF) toilets are terrific, especially toto, kohler, and american standard toilets.

The even newer toilets that flush at 1.28 GPF are, in my opinion, still to new to be installing quite yet! Here, I'd wait to see how they work out the "kinks" in the new designs much like they had to do when they changed the toilets from 3.5 GPF to the 1.6 GPF.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 05:38 AM
    Most of those are ADA compliant now. I want a shorter toilet, no more than 15 inches off the floor. Is that possible? I just have to measure at the store?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 25, 2013, 05:50 AM
    Get a variable flush. Costs only a tiny bit more.
    I saw on a home imp show that you shouldn't rock the toilet in an attempt to 'seat' it on the wax ring or it will squish it out of shape. I'm sure the plumbers here know more about that.
    A typical Kohler Wellworth is 14.5" high to the top of the porcelain. Few people realize that the lower the seat the better it is for you, nature's way of getting you to squat or hunker. Home Depot is selling more of the even higher than ordinary ones (16.5") for elderly who don't want to buy a doughnut or use grab bars.
    I invested $1300 (rare for me) in a water softener that descales and softens without any electricity, any salt, any maintenance, and any ion exchange that makes sodium chloride. It turns the minerals into crystals so they don't stick to anything. That's about 3 times the cost of a regular softener but I love it. I live in a high lime area where lime stone is actually the main business, so I used to stand and watch the calcification happening around the pot rim just boiling spaghetti. And yes, it clogged the plumbing, showers, and appliances.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't know much about 15" high toilets but they do exist. Few people realize that the lower the seat the better it is for you, nature's way of getting you to squat or hunker. Home Depot is selling more of the even higher than ordinary ones for elderly who don't want to buy a doughnut or use grab bars. I think you can get low ones at specialty stores.
    The one we have now is 14 inches high. I'm 5 feet tall (or less with old-age shrinkage), and would really like to have one like we had in the preschool bathroom when I taught that age group! The ADA-compliant ones are nice if you are old and over 5'8". Maybe if my husband resets (reseats?) the toilet we have after replacing the wax ring, we will be good to go. *fingers crossed*
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 25, 2013, 06:01 AM
    Doubt you'll find a shorter toilet, just like you won't find one that consumes over 1.6 gallons per flush. The Japanese have a squat style toilet (Toto sells them in Japan) where your bum doesn't even touch the toilet. Being a taller guy, having lived with a squat toilet, my knees thank me for having a taller sit down toilet. My local water utility gives a $100 rebate for 1.28 gallon flush toilets, not 1.6 gal. American Standard just bought out Eljer, and have made one that says on the box that it'll flush a bucket of golf balls! Maybe.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 25, 2013, 06:05 AM
    What height do you want, to the top of the bowl, not counting the seat, which adds about 3/4"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    What height do you want, to the top of the bowl, not counting the seat, which adds about 3/4"?
    Now it's 14". I want no more than 15". My 5'10" husband says the ADA ones would be so much easier for us, and I tell him to be 5' tall for two weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muriatic acid, sold for adjusting the pH of swimming pools and for cleaning freshly p [ 1 Answers ]

Muriatic acid, sold for adjusting the pH of swimming pools and for cleaning freshly poured concrete, is a concentrated solution of hydrochloric acicd in water. Its density is 1.18 gm/ml, and is typically 36.5% HCI by mass. How many grams of HCI are in a quart of muriatic acid?

Muriatic Acid [ 3 Answers ]

I have got muriatic acid to get rid of efflorescence in my concrete floor, so now I'm just wondering about a safe disposal method after I finish with what I need? Can I pour this down the drain?

Can the use of Muriatic acid change the color of my Bluestone sitwall? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to determine whether it was not mixed properly, left on to long or not rinsed off enough.

Muriatic acid [ 3 Answers ]

Can I use muriatic acid to clear my shower drain?

Muriatic acid [ 10 Answers ]

What does one do with 3 quarts unused from a gallon container (bought at Sears)? How long can the 3 quarts be stored safely in the plastic container?

View more questions Search