Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejohame2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?
    Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Often the renter will sign his and the landlords copy, esp when using a renting agent, and be given a copy, and the original to the landlord forwarded to the landlord, this does not mean that the landlord has not signed his copy, Just because the renter does not have a copy signed by both parties does not mean it is not a valid rental agreement.

If there is not a signed lease that can be presented in court as evidence then there is no legal lease, remember if the landlord has a copy, he signs his and has it for court,

You also have the issue of an agreed to verbal lease , a verbal lease may be honored in some US states depending on their rental laws
    ** a verbal month to month is valid in all states
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
    It depends on which person didn't sign. If the landlord didn't sign then you can be sure that they will sign their copy before this gets to court. As long as one fully signed copy exists then it is legal and it doesn't matter if the tenant doesn't have a fully signed copy.

If one of the tenants didn't sign then the lease is still binding on the tenant that signed.
    Molly926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 02:04 PM
    My landlord never gave us a new lease to sign, but called me in and said the insurance company wants a signed lease and could she sign my name for them and then send us a lease to sign and copy. The lease is in both of our names. We never got a lease to sign. She now wants to hold us to a lease that neither I nor my husband signed. Is it legal for her sign my name to a lease? Can she hold us to it?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly926;
    My landlord never gave us a new lease to sign, but called me in and said the insurance company wants a signed lease and could she sign my name for them and then send us a lease to sign and copy. The lease is in both of our names. We never got a lease to sign. She now wants to hold us to a lease that neither I nor my husband signed. Is it legal for her sign my name to a lease? Can she hold us to it?
    First, you should really have started a new thread. Adding a new question onto an old thread causes confusion.

So your landlady got your permission to sign your name and your husband's name to a new lease? She did so and now you don't want to be bound by what you agreed to? Why not? Is something in it different than you were led to believe?

She can hold you to it unless you can prove that it contains provisions significantly different than you were told were in it.

You know now, I hope, that it was very foolish of you to agree to something you had not read and signed. This story about the insurance company insisting upon having a signed lease is very fishy.
    IPP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2013, 06:20 PM
    I have the same matter her in FL the renter has not sent back and signed the lease am now trying to evict him in court for continued late payments
    Couch12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 08:37 PM
    Is spouse legally bound to lease agreement if not signed by both? Currently going through eviction process in Ontario. Can my wife be on legal documents if not on the lease

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a 72 hour rule to canceling a rental lease just signed [ 2 Answers ]

Rule for refund of monies within 72 hours

Is a lease binding if not signed by lessor but sign. Forged by her mom [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease in Florida that I need to break. The lessor did not sign it but her 80yr old mom signed her daughters name . Can she sue me for the remainder or can I just give her 30 days notice

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

Unsigned lease, but verbal commitment - legally binding? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently leased a large commercial space in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have not yet signed the lease. I have paid 2 months rent as a deposit, and was given 3 months rent free to do renovations. I am now in my first week of business, and things are very slow. What I need to know is, am I...

Is my lease still legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner...

View more questions Search