Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cousteau8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Dimming doesn't work on either Hampton Bay fan
    Hi:
    I purchased 2 ceiling fans to install into a renovation with all new wiring.

Fan #1 came with a built in remote.
    Fan #2 did not come with a remote, I bought the $30 handheld remote and had it wired in during installation.

Both remotes turn each respective fan on and off at the 3 speeds.

However, both remotes also do not dim the respective light-kits (full range) as specified they would.

Instead, when I hit "light" icon on either remote, the light starts dim and just works up to full on light and stays there. It is fast, the equivalent of a person turning on a dimmer and twirling it to get full light.

So I can't get any lighting except full light... although dim is in there - it starts dimmed but just goes by itself to full light.

I had an electrician wire the fans and the 1 remote unit in -- everything else seems to work.. I thought maybe I was supposed to use 50-100-150 (3 way) bulbs, but that doesn't make sense if I'm supposed to get full range dimming...

Help!! And thank you in advance for any tips...
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 26, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cousteau8
    Hi:
    I purchased 2 ceiling fans to install into a renovation with all new wiring.

Fan #1 came with a built in remote.
    Fan #2 did not come with a remote, I bought the $30 handheld remote and had it wired in during installation.

Both remotes turn each respective fan on and off at the 3 speeds.

However, both remotes also do not dim the respective light-kits (full range) as specified they would.

Instead, when I hit "light" icon on either remote, the light starts dim and just works up to full on light and stays there. It is fast, the equivalent of a person turning on a dimmer and twirling it to get full light.

So I can't get any lighting except full light... although dim is in there - it starts dimmed but just goes by itself to full light.

I had an electrician wire the fans and the 1 remote unit in -- everything else seems to work.. I thought maybe i was supposed to use 50-100-150 (3 way) bulbs, but that doesn't make sense if I'm supposed to get full range dimming.....

HALP!!! And thank you in advance for any tips........
    They still haven't fixed it. Installed 3 in 2001 and all have same problem. Solid state themal runaway of SCR control. Take it back and get a different brand. Must have gotten it at HD on sale. :) nm
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Try holding down the light button. Or trying pushing it while the light is transitioning from off to bright when it's at the desired setting. There is a way to do it, nothing is wrong with the remotes.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Try holding down the light button. Or trying pushing it while the light is transitioning from off to bright when it's at the desired setting. There is a way to do it, nothing is wrong with the remotes.
    I agree on the remote transmitter, its okay. The receiver SCR output breaks down thermally due to a loop problem in the circuitry. Depends on circuit components being out of operating temp range tolerance. This is according to a test engineer analyzing the design. Some work some don't, due to how long you hold the control. If the breakdown avalanches into a complete 'on' mode, kiss the semiconductor goodbye. Nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Fan/Light doesn't work [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 3-year old Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/Light with fluorescent bulbs and remote control. A few months ago, one of the bulbs fell out. After I replaced it, I have had problems ever since with both the fan and light. Basically, after a few minutes of operation (either fan or light), it starts...

Harbor Breeze fan, Hampton Bay remote doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay remote and a Harbor Breeze fan the fan and light worked fine for about a month, now nothing. I have run some tests and this is what I have found: House wireing 119Vac Old receiver Receiver white - black 119Vac constant - remote does not change this voltage Receiver white...

Light dimming problem with Hampton Bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote. When sleeping we run the fan without the light. My problem is that when all wall switches are on, but the light is turned off with the remote, the light will sometimes come on in the middle of the night. Also, when you turn the...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/Remote SWITCH WILL NOT WORK [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed all new ceiling fans in the house. They are all Hampton Bay's with remotes. The one in the kitchen and dinning room work by both the remote and the switch. However, when I installed the ones in the bedrooms, the wall switches will not work. There is a "red" wire up in the...

Hampton Bay Fan Light Dimming Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan. Everything worked perfectly for the first 3-4 weeks and then the lights started acting up last night. It started as the lights went bright-dim-bright-dim... and then the lights finally stayed dimmed while the fan is operating perfectly...

View more questions Search