Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarisaJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 12:27 PM
    My dog won't eat but drinks a lot. She is very weak and doesn't want to move around.
    My german shepard won't eat but is drinking water. She just lays around all day and she won't really move. We can't afford to take her to the vet. What should I do?
    MarisaJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Also, she's an outside dog and we think she got into the trash and ate something. She is only like 6 months old and we hope its not too bad. Thx.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Please get to to a vet (work out a payment plan). Depending on what she may have eaten or what is wrong, she could die a painful death without vet help. Or check with your local shelter and find out if they will take her. This is an emergency, so please act now!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
    I second that, if she is prone to getting into the trash or if you suspect that she did this time, it could be that he had a bad case of "garbage gut" (eating all the old food and whatever else may be in there) or could have gotten something like a bone or part of something she chewed up and caused an obstruction.
    The cost of an initial exam without diagnostics should not break the bank.
    I would take her in see what they say after visually examining her and evaluate other things and go from there.
    If you have to give her up to someone that can care for her if you can't handle the expense or euthanize to eliminate her suffering then in the long run it is better for her.
    But, start with the exam, please get her seen.
    I hope things aren't so serious and she recovers, but have her seen, she won't go long without eating.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Take her to the vet.

I don't want to sound harsh but I get tired of reading things like this. If you can't afford a vet, you should never have taken the responsibility of getting a dog in the first place.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
    When I was young and thoughtless I let my dog roam the city beach with me, and she ate tons of trash and I didn't even notice. The ER vet gave her something to make her vomit (after warning me that if certain poisons were the cause of her blood red eyes and foaming mouth and violent shaking), she'd probably die. She vomited up all sorts of food and non food items and then was fine, but I learned my lesson!

You haven't even mentioned your dog's ability to have bowel movements, which a vet is going to ask you to help determine if there's an obstruction. It's your JOB as caretaker of a dog to watch and know, train and be responsible. As I said, I learned my lesson. I know many people learn too late.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Amen Odinn7!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
    I second the bravo to Odinn.

I just spent $600 a month ago on vet bills for my Jasper only to be told that there was nothing they could do. We had to euthanize him. We're not well off. In fact, we live pay cheque to pay cheque. But we took this lovely dog in, because we had to do all we could, even if we couldn't afford it financially. He was almost 11 years old, and we had him from 4 months of age. This puppy is only 6 months old, not even a member of the family (outdoor dog!) and you can't afford her? Why did you bother to bring her home at all?

Vet bills are a part of having a pet. If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
    I've spent over $1500 on my old dog in less than 4 months and am looking at spending more.

Not many people can write a check out for a huge vet bill. Most vets will work with you.. maybe not with payments, but in treatments and tests.

I feel like repeating what Odinn said.. If you can't afford veterinary care of any type, than you have no business owning a dog. Find her a new home.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 29, 2012, 03:07 AM
    I once dropped $4000 within a week on one of my dogs. That was just his initial surgery, think about the aftercare. Follow-up, medications, etc.
    I wasn't prepared but I had to find it for his sake.
    I got 6 more wonderful years with him.
    Was it worth it? Yes, every penny.
    Would I do it again? Absolutely
    I so wish people would think ahead before they bring home their cute puppy.
    I'll second the finding another home if you cannot handle the financial responsibility.
    kittencm Posts: 2, Reputation: -2

Mar 8, 2013, 11:18 PM
    So tired of you people whose only response is take him to the vet or if you can't afford it blah blah blah. I can't afford to run my 3 dogs to the vet for any little thing. I can tell you this, my dogs would probably have been euthanize d if I didn't rescue them. They get their shots and are fixed. I have volunteered for years with local animal shelters, rescue groups etc. There is not a person in this world who could love their dogs more than I do mine. They are part of my family and are well taken care of. Secondly. Vets charge outrageous fees. Most are in it for the money. Those who truly love animals will never turn away a dog in need. They will work something out. Finally, do you think the shelters are full now? Take away the people who can't afford outrageous vet bills but can give a homeless dog a great life and see the number of homeless pets triple. Concern yourself with those who mistreat, fight and abuse dogs. Zip it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kittencm View Post
    So tired of you people whose only response is take him to the vet or if you can't afford it blah blah blah.
    Too many people post here after spending thousands on a new puppy or getting one without doing any background reading on what dog needs and what it will cost, and then are upset when they find out a vet visit is needed or neutering has to be done in order to make the animal comfortable or well again, or solve aggression issues. That's all we ask. Read up on a certain kind of pet if you never had one before and have a good idea of the upkeep cost. And I have never known a vet who was in it for the money. Like you say, most shelters will offer vet coupons or will give you info about a low-cost vet in your area.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 09:48 AM
    So tired of people like you Kitten.. My dog (Mr Owen Lowell) was facing having to have expensive surgery. I posted on here in tears saying I would do everything in my power to get him the surgery. I would sell everything I have to get him better. Cancel the internet, not pay bills.. whatever it took. If it still was not enough I would have found him new owners that would get him the surgery. That is what a true animal lover does... they don't allow their pet to suffer. Yes vets are expensive but when you get a pet you got to do what you got to do.

So you are an animal lover and you want us to diagnosis on line without seeing the dog, without knowing the dogs past medical history, without the benefit of doing needed testing. Are you going to comfort the owner if their pet passes away due to a preventable disease that was treatable? Are you going to comfort them when they found out they should have taken the dog to the vet sooner as they were in pain and suffering.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Despite what you may think, Kitten, if you cannot afford veterinary care, than you cannot afford an animal. It goes hand in hand. There is no other way around it.

There are some vets who do charge a lot of money, but that is why you must shop around. Most vets will not do payment arrangements because people just simply do not pay their bills. Should grocery stores lend you food and hope you pay them back? Should your mortgage allow you to skip a few payments in hopes you pay them back? NO! So why should a vet be any different? I agree, vet prices are very expensive.. especially if you let a problem sit and fester. Vets have bills to pay and employees to pay.. so tell me, why should they just fix your dog for free or reduced cost? Yes, the veterinary world loves animals.. they're all in it for the health and well being of the pet.. but guess what.. They need a paycheck too. So ZIP IT yourself..

If you refuse your dog veterinary care, I think you should take yourself out of the category of those who care for their pets. You cannot afford a simple vet visit? To even speak to a vet and learn about your options? Really? That's pathetic.

Shelters do not investigate their adopters.. I think they should. Veterinary costs needs to be something that is factored into purchasing/adopting a puppy. If you cannot afford veterinary care, or think that veterinary care should be $200 max.. Than you should not adopt a puppy.

I'm sick of people like you, kitten, who come on here wanting some magical cure to your dog's ailments. Lethargic, not eating or drinking.. those are not good signs. But unless you talk to the experts (vet) there is no way of telling if this is just a stomach bug or a blockage.

I work for a vet office.. so you probably think I'm bias... but whatever.. Anyway.. there are people who don't have much money, but they make darn sure that their dogs are taken care of and who will take them in if the dog is lethargic and not eating. Truth is.. and I see it all the time.. if you take your dog in NOW, the costs of care are much cheaper vs letting this get worse.

So tell me again about how you take superb care of your pets... You cannot afford the vet and are searching the internet for a quick fix. That's not taking care of your pets. That's putting a life that is 100% dependent on you to take care of them, at risk.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
    So tired of you people whose only response is take him to the vet or if you can't afford it blah blah blah. I can't afford to run my 3 dogs to the vet for any little thing. I can tell you this, my dogs would probably have been euthanize d if I didn't rescue them. They get their shots and are fixed. I have volunteered for years with local animal shelters, rescue groups etc. There is not a person in this world who could love their dogs more than I do mine. They are part of my family and are well taken care of. Secondly. vets charge outrageous fees. Most are in it for the money. Those who truly love animals will never turn away a dog in need. They will work something out. Finally, do you think the shelters are full now? Take away the people who can't afford outrageous vet bills but can give a homeless dog a great life and see the number of homeless pets triple. Concern yourself with those who mistreat, fight and abuse dogs. Zip it.
    So tired of people like you who think that love is enough. It's the same mentality that many people have about children. Oh, they'll love the child, give it a good home, but if the child gets sick can they afford a doctors care? Would you let a child suffer, because you seem to be willing to let an animal suffer.

Vets are expensive, I agree, but part of having a living, feeling being in your care, is making sure that that being is taken care of. There's more to having a dog than just giving it food and taking it for walks, and loving it. You have to look after it's physical health as well, and if you can't do that, you shouldn't have a dog.

No one is saying that only the super rich should be allowed to have pets. If that were the case, most of the people on this site wouldn't have pets at all. I have 2 dogs, 4 rabbits, 3 gerbils, 2 birds and two fish. We're not a high income family. Every single one of my pets would get the treatment they need if the need arouse. I'd find a way, even if it meant selling my car, getting another job, living off bread and water.

Not one person said that you had to run to the vet for every little thing. The OP (original poster) of this thread, was not dealing with a little thing. Her dog was very ill, and the vet was the only option.

Shame on you.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Sorry Alty can't give you a greenie.. I agree with you 100%.
    kittencm Posts: 2, Reputation: -2

Mar 14, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Lucky, Alty Pplease, Pathetic, Hmm don't think so.. I called MY vet. I would never neglect my dogs. I repeat I cannot affore to bring my dog to the vet for any little thing. Looking on the internet for similar cases etc. You seem ignorant to the fact that if it wasn't for low cost spay and neutering and shots there would be a lot more animals in the shelter. But, I guess that doesn't bother you. Do some research and your will find many vets that will not refuse a dog in need no matter the pet parents financial status. North Shore, LI. etc.

Mogram, you just sound like a moron. I have had dogs my whole life and again am not looking for a quick, especilly from people who think they know it all. My dogs get their shots and are all fixed. I have volunteeed my whole life helping dogs in need. What have you mouths done. I never said I would not take my dog to a vet, of course I would. Ive been to many a vet (rip-offs) and know many dog lovers who take better care of their pets than they do themselves and can barely afford them. I take Superb care of my babies. My 24 year old maltese passed away last year, before that my 20 yr old beagle mix. I couldn't imagine life without dogs. If you don't have any advice other than Take him to the vet, then don't say anything, obviously we know that already.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
    Thank you for your judgement of me. You don't know me and don't know what I do for animal rescue. Plus it is none of your business. If you don't like what I had to say then too bad I stand behind it. If you go through my posts you will see I was faced with selling my to get my dog the surgery he may have needed and if that was not enough then I would have rehomed him. I am out of this thread as I don't want to take away from the message in this thread.

When your dog is ill and not eating or drinking you find a way to get him/her to the vet. You sell things, cancel internet etc, or don't pay bills and catch up later. You don't let your dog suffer.
    Pets Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 02:31 PM
    Lucky, Alty Pplease, Pathetic, Hmm dont think so.. I called MY vet. I would never neglect my dogs. I repeat I cannot affore to bring my dog to the vet for any little thing. Looking on the internet for similar cases etc. You seem ignorant to the fact that if it wasnt for low cost spay and neutering and shots there would be alot more animals in the shelter. But, I guess that doesnt bother you. Do some research and your will find many vets that will not refuse a dog in need no matter the pet parents financial status. North Shore, LI. etc.

Mogram, you just sound like a moron. I have had dogs my whole life and again am not looking for a quick, especilly from people who think they know it all. My dogs get their shots and are all fixed. I have volunteeed my whole life helping dogs in need. What have you mouths done. I never said I would not take my dog to a vet, of course I would. Ive been to many a vet (rip-offs) and know many dog lovers who take better care of their pets than they do themselves and can barely afford them. I take Superb care of my babies. My 24 year old maltese passed away last year, before that my 20 yr old beagle mix. I couldnt imagine life without dogs. If you dont have any advice other than Take him to the vet, then dont say anything, obviously we know that already.
    So, you get upset because you think we judged you. You're the one that came to this site, found one thread you wanted to post on, and then decided to bash people you don't even know.

I've worked in rescue since I was old enough to volunteer. I spent years volunteering my time at the Humane society. I had to hold down perfectly healthy dogs while the needle went in, all because of ignorant people that couldn't or wouldn't make the commitment to care for the pet they had to have! Don't talk to me about rescue you git! I have 13 animals in my home, the majority of them are rescues, and every single one of them gets vet care if they need it!

So you want us to ignore someone that comes to this site asking for a diagnosis for their pet? You want us to walk away, because we shouldn't say "take your dog to the vet" which is the only answer?

Hey sweetheart, if you want to give a diagnosis (which nobody, not even a vet, can do online) feel free, but not on this site. Don't bother whining to me when the dog you diagnosed died and you're being sued.

Bye now.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2013, 09:12 AM
    Ok, so we are the bad guys for advising people to seek out veterinary care for their sick pets?

Tell me, what would you advise for a largo puppy who's been sick for a few days now? Or chronic vomiting and diarrhea.

You're a no body, kitten. So seriously keep your stupidity to yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat and she weak and sleepy [ 3 Answers ]

My dog won't eat her dog food please help and she was vomitin yellow bile drinks plenty water and will still eat her treats and very gassy and foul help... the vet is very costly

My dog hasn't eaten for 4 days but drinks a lot of water [ 10 Answers ]

My dog hasn't eaten for 4 days but drinks a lot of water. She is 8yrs old and I was able to get her to eat a little bit of boiled chicken yesterday and a few pieces of beef treats the day before but nothing substantial. I can't afford to take her to the vet because my husband is on unemployment...

5 year old english sringer spaniel ,will not eat hardley anything ,drinks a lot of what [ 12 Answers ]

5 year old engllish springer spaniel ,will not eat hardly anything ,drinks a lot of water ,peeing a lot vet has her on antibiotic twice a day

What is wrong with a dog that won't eat and is drinking a lot of water and losing a lot [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is not eating and is losing a lot of weight and drinking a lot of water. What could be wrong with him

View more questions Search