Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wonderling Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Feb 26, 2013, 05:42 PM
    What does "high CPU usage" mean?
    Hi~
    Every so often I get a little box that pops up from Norton Security that says there is high CPU usage. What does that mean? Is it a bad thing? Why does it happen? And, how can I fix that if it is a bad thing?
    Thank you in advance!

Feb 26, 2013, 05:43 PM
    PS. I'm using Windows 8 (if that helps or means anything~I don't know).
    letmethink Posts: 82, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2013, 01:52 PM
    It means that your CPU is extremely busy doing a lot of things . Its just letting you know this in case other programs start slowing down.. its caused by running too many applications ,viruses or overheating

Mar 7, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmethink View Post
    It means that your CPU is extremely busy doing a lot of things . its just letting you know this incase other programs start slowing down..its caused by running too many applications ,viruses or overheating
    Thank you. :)
    rodzillaj3 Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Mar 8, 2013, 06:02 AM
    Norton actually has this feature because trojan horses and some malware and viruses require your system to run to either destroy data or send your computers information to a distant source. If this is popping up while your computer is not being used and sitting idle, this would be something to get checked out since the CPU should be less than 10%.

Mar 8, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Yeah check if it is because of virus.
    If it is because of any other programs or games and if you are bothered about the pop up

Then Go to Settings > Miscellaneous Settings > Performance Monitoring
    There is options like to turn off performance monitoring,performance alert.
    The best way will be to exclude the specific program causing the trouble from performance monitoring using program exclusion configuration.

Or you could try upgrading your ram to 2GB in-case if it is less. A minimum of1GB ram is required for windown 7 or 8(I guess)..
    I got a 2GB ram and never had an issue.

Mar 8, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmethink View Post
    yeah check if it is because of virus.
    if it is because of any other programs or games and if you are bothered about the pop up

then Go to Settings > Miscellaneous Settings > Performance Monitoring
    there is options like to turn off performance monitoring,performance alert.
    the best way will be to exclude the specific program causing the trouble from performance monitoring using program exclusion configuration.

or you could try upgrading your ram to 2GB in-case if it is less. A minimum of1GB ram is required for windown 7 or 8(i guess)..
    i got a 2GB ram and never had an issue.
    This thing is new and I think factory settings make everything possible start up on start up! I think I need to go to the Geek Squad people and have them remove the things I don't use. That might help too wouldn't it?

Mar 8, 2013, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderling View Post
    This thing is new and I think factory settings make everything possible start up on start up! I think I need to go to the Geek Squad people and have them remove the things I don't use. That might help too wouldn't it?
    Even if those technicians came and fix your problems,what will you do next time when the same thing happens with a different application running.will u call them again?
    If you still not sure what to do, you could just call them,and tell them to make you understand how they fixed it.so u would be able to clear the popup next time.and they could check if it is because of a virus also
    chrissysno Posts: 12, Reputation: 7

Mar 8, 2013, 09:20 PM
    It means your Central Processing Unit is at max, or over normal usage for all the programs you have running. It can be caused by having too many windows open at the same time, having an out-dated driver, overheating, and other factors. There are free programs online like "FixCleaner", and others to help you with your problem. Or you can do a search with " Manually fixing high CPU usage" and see what it brings up. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

High CPU usage [ 4 Answers ]

I am on windows 7 ultimate here is my hijackthis log: Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 10:35:28 PM, on 12/1/2009 Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504) MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385) Boot mode: Normal

High CPU usage and LUCallbackProxy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a 2.3GHz XPS laptop and its usually very fast. Recently it has frozen for a minute or longer, with 100% CPU usage which registers as "system idle process" and will not respond. I understand that System Idle Process is supposed to work in the background when CPU is not needed, but...

Wmiprvse High CPU Usage [ 4 Answers ]

When I restart my computer I always get the wmiprvse process using up 50% cpu. Once in a while it would take up as high as 99% cpu. Is there an explanation why this process is taking up so much cpu?

VGA Monitor - "No Signal" w/New Mobo, CPU & Ram [ 2 Answers ]

The Preamble: My old computer: ASRock K7VM2 mobo with 2GB DDR, AMD 2400+, stock CPU fan and heatsink. I was installing a PCI wireless adapter into this mobo as per the adapter's manual. After installing the software I was supposed to turn off the computer and install the PCI card, then...

View more questions Search