Thank you for you reply Clough. I often gave my hamster fruit and vegetables, and I feel awful and stupid but I never washed them, I just didn't realise, and never knew hamsters were in danger of salmonella poisoning.
I buried him in the garden today with one of his favourite toys, whilst I was taking all bits of sawdust and bedding off him, I noticed he had a piece of tissue (bedding) coming from his mouth. When I tried to remove it it just snapped off. Now I'm thinking has he choked to death on his bedding, is this possible?