Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Concrete footings for new basement support columns
    I'm replacing the support columns under the main beam in a small cape cod. I just wanted to run my footing plans by everyone so I know if I'm making any glaring mistakes. I've cut open the existing slab and dug 18"-square x 19" deep holes for the footings and adjustable monoposts (see attached pic).

Questions:
    - Is rebar even required? I don't believe it is, but plan on adding anyway. Are (2) 'X'-patterns 3" up from bottom and down from top good, or would a different pattern be better?
    - Is the 3/4" gravel required for drainage? These posts are in the center of an existing poured slab, so I'm not sure water will even get to them.
    - Are (2) anchor bolts enough in the bottom plate, or should I go with (4)? There will also be a 2nd concrete pour to cover the adjusting screw.

Thank you to everyone for any input.
    Attached Images

21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 11:58 PM

Linfield Pa. If you are going to use rebar which really is overkill here for a 12" thick pad. Box the rebar not criss cross.

Also you don't want to have any crushed stone under that pad at all.. Its not a drain issue and where would it even drain too???

12" thick create is also over kill Normally the pads are 24"x24" and 8" to 10" of concrete. It's the width of the pad that carries the load ( spreads out the load) not the thickness

Thick is to keep it from breaking under compression and THEN spread out that load.

2 bolts are fine. Its just to stop any shear movement.
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Thanks 21boat. I should have asked BEFORE I dug the holes - now I'm going to have monster footings! I guess if I ever want to add 3 more floors, I'll be safe! ;)

FYI, I tried to rate your answer, but AMHD won't let me because I guess I rate you too often (because you answer so often!). Anyway, I greatly appreciate your response. Hopefully I can get them all poured today. Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 09:56 PM

I answer a lot because of doing so many trades on a weekly basis. Keeps me from getting bored.

Glad to help out..
    iam5050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2009, 02:11 AM

This is right up my allley... I am in the process of redoing by basment.. I don't want anything fancy, but the slab is very lets say un-even and wavy and also thing very thin...

I am in my house for at least a few more years but cannot walk away from job not done the right way... What would you all suggest my next move to be?

PS... there are a lot of small cracks in the floor which I was going to silicone then paint... Water seems to be burping its way through this... Seems like the only right thing to do is start for square one... Not sure I have the time or budget...

What would you suggest ---- and what would pour mans verdict be?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 09:36 AM

You can't paint silicone but there are other sealer that can be painted.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:32 PM

the slab is very lets say un-even and wavy and also thing very thin... there are a lot of small cracks in the floor... but cannot walk away from job not done the right way...
    Ima 5050

Sounds like the right way is to pour a new concrete floor. Lets see

We have

Wavy floor
    Thin floor
    Lot of small cracks
    Water burping its way through.

I say fix the water problem burping through and remove old floor. Stone it right and drain tile it and vapor barrier and Crete.

If this shows up when you go to sell, (the disclosure act in the selling info can get serious. ) As a buyer I would low bid on the asking price to allow me enough money to fix the floor...
    Jkelly830 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 01:47 PM
    To Original Poster:

How did the job go? I noticed in your drawing that the post is constructed with(4) 2x10's , not (3) as written. Which did you go with.

Also, I am not an engineer, but I didn't think your footing was overkill in any sense. I think it was smart - based upon what I have seen structural engineers design for similar residential homes in my area.

Good Luck.
    wayne1yahoo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 PM
    You need to go to your local building code people by online or in person. They will give you the code specifications needed for your locality. You do normally require rebar in the footings concret

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From 3 columns of data creating a 4th column with the most recent columns data [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help with an excel query I have... I have 3 columns of information and want to summarise the most recent information in to a 4th column. i.e. the most up to date information. If the most recent column is blank use the information from the 2nd most recent...

Concerned about possible water damage, upstairs addition and basement footings [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I bough our house 6 months ago and I am becoming concerned. It is one of the old, in town trendy homes that come with a lot of character an obviously a lot of problems too… Basic info on the home (all work listed is within the last 3 yrs): ·1938 YOC *Brick home (upsatairs addition...

Concrete tub in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm still in the concept part of planning a project and there are a few things I need to know about for my bathroom. First I'll explain a bit about the house - the floor of the house is going to be about 4 ft below grade, so basically half the walls and floor will be poured like a basement but with...

Concrete house piers and footings [ 2 Answers ]

Can concrete piers and footings be safely poured in wet saturated clay ground.Rain has occurred over last 2 weeks and is forecast on and off for next month.

Concrete Pillars & Footings [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to install a pair of gates on 2' x 2' block (filled with rebar and concrete) pillars. Each gate panel is about 13' high x 6' wide and weighs about 850 pounds. One gate company indicated that the footings should be 6' x 6' x 4' deep while another indicated 3' x 3' x 3' deep. Does...

View more questions Search