Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hrlygirl64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Who can legally garnish your wages?
    I would like to know who has the right to legally garnish your wages? If you purchase a vehicle and have to turn it in due to not being able to pay for it can they garnish your wages? Also if you were in the National Guard and you received pay after you were deployed but were sent back due to medical reasons they claim that I did not perform my duties and they want the money they paid me back Can they garnish my wages as they are threatening to do? I am sorry I did not tell you that I live in south carolina-they have a no wage garnishment law here except for child support,taxes,or student loans sccla 37-5-104 Can they still do it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 02:40 PM
    On the car what happens, is you turn it back in and they sell it at auction and apply that money to what you owe, then add auction fees, repo fees and legal fees. It is not unusual to owe more money after turning the car back in, than you did before you turned it in.
    And yes they may sue you for the balance, get a judgement and garnish your wages and attach your bank account

I do not know enough about the national guard contract but if you agreed to pay them back certain money if this or that happened, and it happened, and you owe them the money, yes they could garnish your pay. Since you passed the original physcial, went though basic and the such, you may have some legal standing there, I would contact a military attorney on that.
    mark1210 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 21, 2007, 08:45 PM
    In Texas your wages cannot be garnished unless its for child support, back taxes or some other Federal type reason. Supposedly, Texas is more consumer friendly.
    CarrieAnn32 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1210
    In Texas your wages cannot be garnished unless its for child support, back taxes or some other Federal type reason. Supposedly, Texas is more consumer friendly.
    This is 100% true! I just saw a lawyer for this last week. None else can take your wages! Especially in Texas. Now they can freeze your bank accounts with a judgement.
    rog4600 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnn32
    This is 100% true! I just saw a lawyer for this last week. None else can take your wages! Especially in Texas. Now they can freeze your bank accounts with a judgement.
    So if your name is on a bank account, in Texas, they can freeze your account for credit card debt with an issued judgement? Is that right? If so, then can't I just remove my name off the account.
    CarrieAnn32 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rog4600
    So if your name is on a bank account, in Texas, they can freeze your account for credit card debt with an issued judgement? Is that right? If so, then can't I just remove my name off of the account.
    I am pretty sure they can do it with a judgement of any kind if they wanted. Although I have never seen it done for credit card debt. Removing your name can stop them from getting your money though for sure from what I have been told.
    anvwrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Can my job garnish my check from a loan they gave me for a P C purchase. Im still employed there and paying on it $21.00 a week but they now will take 200 from me a week. Is that possible
    mark1210 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Depends. Did you sign any sort of agreement? Is there any verbiage around loans in your documentation? In most cases, payment can be due on demand or accelerated.
    anvwrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 06:45 AM
    I signed a agreement for them to take $21.00 a month and if I am terminated I would have to pay the full amount owed. I gave them a receipt they feel its not valid is why they made the decision.
    RICK237623 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 03:51 PM
    I have a overpayment in california for unemployment can they garnish my wage here in texas?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK237623 View Post
    i HAVE A OVERPAYMENT IN CALIFORNIA FOR UNEMPLOYMENT CAN THEY GARNISH MY WAGE HERE IN TEXAS?
    Drop the caps please.

And please start a new thread for a new question.

Can the State of California sue you and, having obtained a judgment, garnish your wages in Texas? Apparently Texas doesn't allow wage garnishment, so no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I garnish wages in Georgia? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord that won an eviction and judgement against my tenent. The tenent has not paid the judgement. Also I do not know where they live or work. What can I do to garnish their wages?

Social security wages, medicare wages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in the US on F-1 visa. I have filed federal tax returns twice and NY state tax returns once preciously. Both times my W-2 did not show social security wages or medicare wages (and the tax withheld for each of these). However, this year my W-2 shows figures on...

Maryland Judgement - How do I garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maryland Court Judgement against an individual, I have found where he works, how can I garnish his wages, without incurring in a big cost? Please help,

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

Can they garnish wages if you make $144 a week? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my husband and I are both on SS disability. He was able to go to work two days a week under their ticket to work program. I need to know the following. If he incurs a debt, can they garnish his wages if he makes only $144 a week? I know they can't touch his social security, but if only...

View more questions Search