Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amateursupport Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
    <Workgroup> is not accessible. You do not have permission.
    Hi,

I have a simple peer-to-peer workgroup setup in an office of 2 desktops and 2 laptops. All connect to the internet via an ADSL modem which is networked via a 5 port hub. There are no wireless connections. All can connect to the internet.

The problem is 3 of the computers are unable to browse the workgroup and can not connect to shared resources (file/print). The error I receive when trying to access the workgroup is "<Workgroup> is not accessible. You may not have permission to access this server. Please contact your Administrator....". I can ping other computers on the network using both IP and PCName with no problem.

One desktop is working AOK.

I have checked and double checked network settings and services to no avail. File and Print sharing is turned on, Computer Browser service is on, 3rd party firewalls disabled.

I'm tearing my hair out... please help!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 22, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Have you checked that the 3 pc's have the same workgroup name? Right-click My Computer, properties, Computer Name.

If the printer has built-in networking, make sure it is set to the same workgroup name also.

Mar 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Thanks. All settings are correct.

Mar 24, 2007, 06:05 PM
    So, did that fix your problem?:)

Mar 25, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Um, sorry no. What I meant is that all network settings are correct. As stated, all pc's can ping one another, they just can't browse the workgroup... all accept 1 desktop that is working fine. From research, this seems to be a common problem and I have gone through all the recommended fixes such as ensuring services started, removing external firewalls renaming pc's etc... to no avail.

Mar 25, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Your post mentions a 5 port hub.

That means you have one PC with two network cards. One network card connects to the dsl modem, the other connects to the hub. The other PC and laptops all connect to the hub.

Am I on track here?

Have you though of using a broadband router instead? They normally incorporate a 4-port switch, which routes traffic more efficiently than a hub. It is also easier to configure and may save the hassles you are experiencing.

I know, I sound like a salesman, not really offering help, heh, but they really do simplify networking.:)
    GrahamSymons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 09:27 AM
    I have been searching all day for an answer to the problem and finally found a solution which worked for me. On another forum it was suggested that some fine tweek be done in the anti virus. My setup was that three pc's had an anti virus and the fourth did not, I installed avg free on the fourth PC and hey presto, can see the PC can access the files and can access the internet through the network. Don't know if this is the solution that you require an anti virus program before the firewall works but hey it worked for me try it if you don't have an anti virus installed. AVG is free on AVG Free Advisor: Support for free users

Regards
    naushasame Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Naushad here:
    I had the similar type of problem.I have two Laptops in the same network.Router ip is 192.168.1.254, laptop1 ip: 192.168.1.100, Laptop 2: 192.168.1.101
    The PCs can't see each other.So what I did? Go and see if both PC have the same workgroup. And also see if the protocol NetBios compatible transport is installed. If this is done, the pcs can see each other. You have to restart the two PCs though. If don't know how to do the above mentioned procedure, send email to [email protected]
    bakultrivedi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 09:39 PM
    Dear Friends,
    I also had the same problem while connecting my Laptop with other PC at my office. I spent whole day after it , but could not resolve the issue. At last I did something and the issue was resolved. I don't know what fixed the problem. I did following things.

1. I changed ran Network Setup Wizard on my Laptop and Changed My Workgroupname to 'MSHOME'.
    2. Restarted the System.
    3. Changed the workgroupname back to 'WorkGroup'.
    4. In TCP/IP properties of My Network Connection Selected 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' and 'Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically' and restarted the system.

This fixed the problem and now my network is well accessible to me.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 10:44 AM

When you've done everything right and your firewall is saying "I have no clue" then there are other things to blame. When you network, especially across separate OS's, you need network permissions. When you share something check the permissions, set it so that read and write are available to everyone.

Secondly you need to be able to login to the other network computer. Most people don't realize this, as XP has a net guest account by standard, and it's the same across the board. But things change, and OS's do things differently. Generally if you run the following command on all your computers you can solve this issue.

Net user guest /active:yes

That enables a network guest account so that any network activity can occur between any computer without having to use a separate account, or have all the computers the same login names.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyghode View Post
    hiiiii
    I m also have same problem but i got so many solution on it
    1 . by restaring the services such as -workstation,server,network connection,net logon etc
    2 . the very good solution is that ":IF U HAVE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM INSTALL THEN SIMPLY DESABLE IT AND THEN TRY TO OPEN SHARE FOLDER THEN ENABLE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM":...................

Maddy
    Please don't piggyback on another thread. Especially one that is over 2 years old. Post your own question and it will generate more traffic allowing you to gain more feedback!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My documents not accessible access denied message [ 1 Answers ]

I had to perform a system restore on our computer as we were getting a system shutting down error and nothing else was working. During the reinstall of windows XP everything reset except for one file folder. Whenever we try to open this folder in My Documents we get an error saying that the file is...

Workgroup is not accesible ! Please help [ 10 Answers ]

I have the following problem and I really can't find the right answer :-( Three pc's (A, B and C), A and B running windows xp home edition and C windows xp professional (all with service pack 2). I have disabled windows firewall because I'm using zonealarm. All three are connected together...

Switched From Domain to Workgroup [ 1 Answers ]

I needed to use a shared printer so I changed from the domain I used to be in to a workgroup. However now that I try to go back to my domain, I can't. The problem is, my primary user profile is the one under that domain. So all my preferences and other settings have been lost and I have to go...

Windows XP Workgroup + XP Firewall [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is trying to set up a small office network of 3 computers all running windows xp home. It's a very simple set up of a hub connecting the three computers A, B & C He's asked me to help him set this up but we have come across a slight problem. It would seem that the xp firewall is...

J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA 6Y200MO, and partioned it using the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to find out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all corruppted and now the hdd displays this message, J: not accessible. Parameter...

View more questions Search