Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nolawsaavy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Evicting spouse from SC rental
    I am in the process of separating/divorcing from my husband. I am working on retaining my lawyer and currently still reside in the same house as my husband and children. (Financially, I have no choice but to stay in the house). The utility bills are in both our names- even though "he" pays them. I do pay "rent" to him. There is no separation agreement filed yet.

My husband has been telling me that on Mar 1 he can legally kick me out- but obviously, won't tell me how/why. My thoughts on this are that he is going to resign the lease with the landlord without my name on it, and then attempt to evict me.

Can he do this? How can I "one-up" him and make it difficult for him to evict me?

*side note* I'm sure this will also play in my favor: 99% of the time, I make the rent payment to the landlord, and the receipt is given in my name. If I continue to do this even if my name is not on the lease, will I still have rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2013, 05:10 PM
    He can't evict you from the family home until a separation or divorce agreement is entered.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 05:18 PM
    He can not evict you since you are married, at such time as you reach a separation agreement or the judge in the divorce decides who gets to stay in the house.

Next no you do not pay "rent" to your husband, stop even saying or using that word. You are merely paying part of the rent with your husband,
    You are under no obligation to give him a penny and he still can not kick you out.

Remind him when you leave with the kids, how much child support he may be paying

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting spouse of lessee [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We own a property in California and my brother and son are on the original agreement. My son has since moved and my brother is currently incarcerated. My brother was married a year ago and we want to evict his wife. Does she have a legal right to be there just because they are married??

Evicting a spouse not on lease. [ 13 Answers ]

I have a bit of a problem that I need help with. Near the end of May, I and my two children moved into a new home. My husband indicated that he didn't have a new place set up yet and asked if he could move in for a week while he waited for his 'roommate'. Me being the nice person that I am,...

Evicting a rental person that doesn't have a lease [ 2 Answers ]

We have a lady who is renting our house in Fl and it was under Section 8. Well this lady was suppose to be moved out of our house on the 31st of Aug. We have just learned that she is still living there without a lease and the property management that we have hired has not done anything to get her...

View more questions Search