Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Sewer smell in house when it rains
    The last two times it has rained, our basement has had a very strong odor, it seems to be a sewer smell. I checked in the crawl space where we have a hole that we drain our dehumidifier into it and that doesn't seem to smell. The water and toilets don't stink either. IT is a very overpowering smell that permeates even the second floor. Any idea what it could be? We have a septic tank behind our house about ten feet from the basement. The last time we had come home from someplace and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, eventually it went away.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Do you know where your vent pipe exits through the roof? Check the vent for blockage and try rodding about 20-25 feet into the vent. Also, how long has it been since your septic tank was pumped?

Mar 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
    No, we do not know where it is vented. We are new home owners. A roof repairman mentioned that the original vent for the toilet was blocked purposely. He said we should check with a plumber to see where it was vented.

Mar 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
    No, we do not know where it is vented. We are new home owners. A roof repairman said that the vent for our toilet was purposely blocked and to check with a plumber to see where it is vented. We haven't done that yet.

Mar 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Purposely blocking a vent pipe is a strang situation. The vent handles your whole house probably, not just the toilet. You do need to get a plumber to check for proper venting. Seems/smells like you are getting sewer gas in your home because the vent is blocked. Hopefully you will not find that someone vented to just your attic.

Mar 24, 2007, 12:11 PM
    What do you mean when you say, "vented to just your attic?" If they did, is this a problem?

Mar 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
    The vent pipe must go through the roof. If someone cut it off inside the attic it would let sewer gas collect in your home. The attic isn't 100% air tight and separarte from your interior. Sewer gas is heavier than air and will settle through cracks and opening in the ceiling and or attic door. Take a peek in the attic and see if you can locate the vent pipe. It should be directly below the capped roof vent. Did you use a home insopector when you bought your home? This should have been caught before the purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell in the house for a couple weeks which is getting worse. The smell is not coming directly from any toilet or sink drain. The smell comes and goes. It can be very strong or weak. The basement will smell, and then the smell will work it's way through the walls (the return...

Sewer Smell in House [ 1 Answers ]

My house smells like sewer. It is only 13 years old. The smell comes and goes, usaully when it is ver cold outside, or very warm outside. It disipates at night and reappears in the morning when the first toilet gets flushed. Please help I

How to get sewer smell out of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell coming from the basement for 10 days because the trap in the drain in our 'rough in' bathroom dried up, now that it is fixed, how can we get the smell out of the walls and carpet and sofa? HELP!! Thanks for any advice:confused:

Sewer Smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell. Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the...

Sewer smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I get a sewer smell in my house. I had a hole in my cast iron vent stack and replaced it. I still get the smell. There is definitely odor problems at the sewre drain in the basement. Strangely, the problem is worst when it rains or is very humid. My house was built in the 50's and it looks...

View more questions Search