Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slyford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Ejector pump should last how long? More than 3 years?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 10:03 AM

Hello Slyford...

The life-span of sewer ejector pump depends on several factors. Amongst the most important are Brand, Power and Maintenance.

Sewer ejector pump should have 2HP of pumping power and should be periodically serviced and maintained . Sewer pit should be cleaned about once a year. As far as brand goes: we install Zoeller brand sewer ejectors pumps for 30 year with best results. We think they are the best product on market. There are installations we did more then 15 years ago and pumps are still running...

If somebody tells me his/her pump burned after only 3 years than it suggests to me that the sewer collection pit was not cleaned on regular bases.

Edit: Should read 1/2 HP not 2 HP. Thank you Mark.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 12:55 PM

Hi all:

I'm sure that Milo meant to say that your sewage ejector should be a minimum of 1/2 HP... such as the zoeller M267 ejector pump. Check them out @

http://www.drillspot.com/products/70...le_Sewage_Pump

And yeah, a good ejector should give you 7-10 years (or more) if no junk (paper towels, floss, mop strings, etc.) gets mixed into the pit.

Back to you...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

I agree, Zoeller pumps seem to go forward. I have 2 Zoeller sump pumps installed when the house was built, 1987.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 04:55 PM

Of course, I meant to say 1/2 HP. Thank you Mark for keeping the record straight. Milo
    Davidnorthcarol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2013, 06:33 AM
    I have replaced two Zoeller model 52 pumps - each one lasting only 3 1/2 years. Zoeller took one pump and checked it out and could not come up with a reason why they are not lasting. Local Health Dept and a plumber have checked system and can't find a problem. Any ideas? I currently have a Little giant installed for three months and so far so good. I don't think I could recommend Zoeller pumps based on my experience with them.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
    I'm interested in knowing exactly how the pumps failed. Burnt or open motor windings? Bad Impeller? What? If I knew the reason they failed the perhaps we could prevent it in the future, Back to you, Tom
    Davidnorthcarol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I'm interested in knowing exactly how the pumps failed. Burnt or open motor windings? Bad Impeller? What? If I knew the reason they failed the perhaps we could prevent it in the future, Back to you, Tom
    Zoeller said blown capacitor. I checked voltage while (new) pump was running and there was not any drop. Checked everything Zoeller suggested and cannot find a problem.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 18, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Hard for us to help from here DNC, especially seeing how I've installed hundreds of zoeller pumps in my business and have only had trouble with 3 of them in a minimum 10 year period!

The little giant is a good pump, too.. not as good as zoeller, but still pretty good so with any luck you'll get some time out of it!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Meyers pentair sewage ejector pump model SR1830 a quality pump? [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a sewage ejector pump and I'm somewhat concerned about the manufacture. Not seeing very much information about Meyer. I see Zoeller and Little Giant, so I'm wondering if I got a quality systems. Considering all that was required to get the system in I don't want to revisit this for...

Sewage pump/ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

My sewage/ejector pump sometimes won't shut itself off. It has gradually gotten worse as time goes by. What could be causing this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ejector Pump [ 8 Answers ]

Just bought a new house with an unfinished basement. It has an ejector pump that is in an enclosed pit. The only incoming drains is from the clothes washer. I don't understand why the pump activates when I haven't used the washer for a couple of days. Could there be a leak in the check valve...

Ejector Pump? [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a new house that has an ejector pump. I don't know anything about them and have a few questions for anyone with knowledge on the subject: Can you use a standard kitchen garbage disposal with ejector pumps? Can you flush baby wipes or feminine products? How often do the...

View more questions Search