Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Horramoak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Water Heater Replacement Created Water Pressure Loss
    I recently replaced my hot water heater, basically same capacity, etc. as the previous heater. I am noticing a drop in water pressure in the entire house, guess would be 20-25%. The only change is I used a dielectric union between the new heater and copper pipe.

I have to assume the water heater replacement created the drop in pressure. Is there any way to test if I may have created a constriction in either the hot or cold lines? I assume a constriction would reduce water pressure -- it is consistent throughout the house: kitchen and bathrooms.

Thanks... Tom.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:24 AM

Did you turn Valves all the way back on after replacement?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Remove a aerator and check the screens. Is there trash and debris on them?
    Turn the water back on with the aerator removed. Did the pressure increase?
    What I think might have happened is that installing your water heater you disturbed minerals built up in the pipe walls and they are now clogging your system. Let me know what you find. Tom
    Horramoak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Remove a aerator and check the screens. Is there trash and debris on them?
    Turn the water back on with the aerator removed. Did the pressure increase?
    What I think might have happened is that installing your water heater you disturbed minerals built up in the pipe walls and they are now clogging your system. Let me know what you find. Tom
    No, this isn't the problem. Water pressure is normal for about 3-5 sec, then drops.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:21 PM

Is is possible that you applied heat to the fitting on the cold water inlet of your water heater. There is a plastic dip tube in that fitting that when heated it can deform and possibly slow down the water coming into the heater.

This also can happen if you had plastic lined fittings where the nipples enter the cold and also the hot side of the heater.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Hi Tom...

Did you shut the water off to the entire house when installing the water heater or did you shut the cold water shutoff just to the water heater..

If you shut water off just at the water heater it is almost unheard of that both the hot and COLD water to the entire house would be changed.

If you shut the water off to the entire house then it may be that the main shutoff did not get fully opened, or it could also be a pressure reducing valve has gotten clogged up at the screen and needs to be cleaned... see image below.

Is the entire house really changed or is it just the hot water at the sinks and the tub/shower valves (these have pressure balancing systems that would make a drop in hot water volume look like it was both hot and cold). Let us know more here... O.K.

MARK
    Attached Images

fufacat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 03:36 AM
    Mark,
    I read your post. I have the same problem; whole house low pressure, cold and hot. I had turned the water off for the whole house while replacing the gas heater.
    I see your picture of the strainer. Where is this located and is it a job for a layman.
    Scott
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2013, 07:21 AM
    Try turning off the whole house again, then all the way back on?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Strainer is located in the pressure reducing valve (see image at my prior post) and is located at the main water supply by the water meter if present at all... ;)

Try Stratmando's fix first. Otherwise, remove the aerators at the faucets and see if that improves some things!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Leaking water heater following pressure loss and restoration [ 2 Answers ]

We recently had a pipe break in the water line to our street and went without water for a few hours. Upon receiving adequate water pressure, our water heater began to leak from the pressure relief valve. We haven't had any such difficulties so I assume the two events are related. Will it stop...

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

View more questions Search