Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jandel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Can I claim my grandson on my taxes
    My grandson is 28 and had a stroke in 2012, prior to his stroke he earned $4790. He did not work anymore in 2012, can I claim him as a dependent for 2012?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
    Unfortunately, he earned MORE than the Gross Income Test, so for 2012, he will have to file on his own tax return.

For 2013 and beyond, you can claim him as a dependent if you provide more than half of his total support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my grandson? [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter had a baby this fall.. since he was born (and before that) I have paid the unsubsidised rent, utility bills, day care while my daughter worked for a short time and purchased most of his clothing,diapers etc.. So except for the state aid help, she does not get child suport.. I have paid...

Claim grandaughter and great grandson on state support [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 21 yr old grandaughter and 21 mo great grandson living with me for the past few years but I was told that I could not claim as she is receiving state monies for her addictions. We have spent over $7000 per year to aid in supporting her and her son. She gets about $375 mo cash and $250 food...

I have disability income and custody of 12 year old grandson. Can I file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have soc. sec. disability income as my only source of income. I have custody/guardianship of my 12-yr-old grandson. Is there any way for me to file taxes and get $ back? i.e.: child tax credit, earned income credit, etc.

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Should I claim myself or allow my dad to claim me as a dependent on his taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Almost 22 , I Go To Nursing School And Totally Support Myself. I Did Work In 2007 Up Until June. My Dad Is Wanting To Claim Me As A Dependent, But I Think I Would Be Better Off If I Claim Myself. Should I Claim Myself, Or Should My Dad Claim Me? What Is Better For Me?

View more questions Search