Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MtnGrlBytheBay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Toilet Won't Flush when Bath Faucet is ON or Bath is Draining
    Maybe the tank somehow drains, but then doesn't fill when the bath or the shower is running, but there IS water in the bowl.

Scenario: Go in Bathroom, Turn on Shower. Use toilet. Go to Flush toilet, but NOTHING happens. Toilet lever IS attached, but the tank is empty and won't seem to fill.

I've seen questions where the OPPOSITE happens, but this isn't the case. The toilet fills and flushes fine as long as the SHOWER/Bath Faucet is NOT running.

Oh, and BTW, we've got that constant "whine" in the house that probably has something to do with air in the line as well. Perhaps the issues are related.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 10:05 AM
    Sounds like you have an issue related to volume of water available to the house... maybe?

I'd start by looking at the water main supply valve... be sure it is wide open.

Next, look for a pressure reducing valve... strainer may be clogged and need to be cleaned (see image).

After that, if no obvious issues found I would disassemble the toilet fill valve and clean that... see if that solves the toilet issue.

You do not have an issue with air in the lines... really no such thing unless first filling the main water pipes.

Check these things and let me know what you find, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

MtnGrlBytheBay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Well, I feel silly, but I think our main valve is on top of our water heater in our basement. Does that sound like a likely place?

We seem to have adequate pressure in the rest of the house, but I'll give this a try.

Still have that whine. It's constant. Might not be related, but it's there.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Main water supply shutoff is at the water meter (town/city water) or where the pipe from the well comes into the house (pump/well system).

If the whistle is at the water heater I would suspect issues with hot water more so than cold water, so I would still be looking at the main water shutoff or still looking for the pressure reducing valve (also at the water meter area if present)...

Keep checking and keep me posted, OK?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath water not draining [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently moved into a very old property and my bath water is not draining as it looks as though previous owners poured cement/concrete down it . I have removed trap and extending pipe to clean as best I could but it is still not draining. I can't get to any more pipes - please help

Delta bath Faucet won't shut off clockwise [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Delta show unit that won't shut off anymore clockwise. It feels like its kind of bumping up against something, so I have to shut it off carefully in the center position which is a pain. Is this something easy to fix (cartridge)? I have attached a photo of the model. Thank...

Delta bath faucet (cold) won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

My delta bathroom faucet (the cold) won't turn off. Started as a small stream, now it is at full tilt. We have taken it apart and replaced the washer/seating and the cartridge. It is quite old (about 17 years)... there is a hot/cold and a hand held shower as part of the set.

Bath tub draining [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stupid question: How fast is a bath tub supposed to drain?

View more questions Search