Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faultyfixtures Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Whistling noise in ceiling
    Tonight a high pitched whistling like sound began and is continuing in the kitchen. At first we thought it was coming from the fluorescent light fixture but we unplug the lights and then turned all the fuses off in the entire house one at a time, and the noise continued. We're stumped as to what it might be. If anyone has any answers or advice, it would sure be appreciated. I'm not even sure who to call about this, so please advise and help solve this mystery... Many thanks.
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by faultyfixtures
    Tonight a high pitched whistling like sound began and is continuing in the kitchen. At first we thought it was coming from the florescent light fixture but we unplug the lights and then turned all the fuses off in the entire house one at a time, and the noise continued. We're stumped as to what it might be. If anyone has any answers or advice, it would sure be appreciated. I'm not even sure who to call about this, so please advise and help solve this mystery... Many thanks.
    That's a real mystery, whatever those noise are coming from, but at least you can eliminated already that it wasn't coming from electric power. Try to check your mechanical pipings or appliances if ever installed in the ceiling. If you have the plan of the house try to check it out. The noise could be coming from an escaping gas or air from a small orifice from a pipe. Unless, there's something else. Take care.
    Polo QT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by faultyfixtures
    Tonight a high pitched whistling like sound began and is continuing in the kitchen. At first we thought it was coming from the florescent light fixture but we unplug the lights and then turned all the fuses off in the entire house one at a time, and the noise continued. We're stumped as to what it might be. If anyone has any answers or advice, it would sure be appreciated. I'm not even sure who to call about this, so please advise and help solve this mystery... Many thanks.
    I logged on to find the answer to exactly this question! I did everything you did, and the second time I removed the light fixture, I couldn't get it back in, so I left it out overnight. For some reason, the noise is gone. It had been going on for 2 and a half days! Luckily, we were out of the house all day and just avoided the kitchen and issue. I am convinced it was the fluorescent light. I think they have some kind of starter motor or something. I'm going to continue to research how they work.
    eddiemars Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
    I experienced the same problem and went through some of the steps mentioned above before I found the problem. I have a five year old grandson whose electronic alphabet learning toy has been on the refrigerator door for years. Apparently he turned it on and a dying battery was causing it to make a high pitched whistling noise. :-)
    ed0520 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2012, 05:36 AM
    I had the same problem, constant high piched whislting coming from the kitchen. Like most I figured it was probably my refrigator, so I unplugged it, left it unplugged for 10 minutes whistling didn't stop. After reading "eddiemars" comment I began to wonder, my wife had put our digital thermometer in the draw next to the refrigator. BINGO when I opened the draw the sound got much louder, I picked it up and the whistling stopped. Hope this helps others.
    padmaus Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
    I just had an awful sound coming from the downstairs kitchen, like a loud, incessant high-pitched whine. The floor and walls are concrete so it seemed the sound was coming from everywhere, particularly the ceiling. I flipped all the fuses in the house, turned off the fluorescent lights in the room and removed the bulbs... it was beginning to drive everyone in the house insane! I JUST found the cause (and made it stop) it was coming from the big freezer. We had been cleaning out the kitchen all morning and had unplugged the freezer to clean it out, and there was a tiny switch on the bottom labelled "temperature alert." I flipped it to "off" and now we can all keep our sanity a little longer.

SHORT ANSWER: check the freezers and fridges for little switches, especially if they have been unplugged recently
    Teebiscuit Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2013, 07:29 PM
    Thank you Ed0520! You are our hero! The whistling was so horrible. We turned the water, power, appliances off. We were ready to start ripping lighting cans out and googled the symptom and found your post. Low and behold... it was indeed the digital thermometer. It was in the off position and shrieking away!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Knocking noise in ceiling and bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

I have a brand new house built 5 months ago. I can hear random knocks and single bangs in my attached bath and bedroom ceiling. The bathroom sounds metallic, and the ceiling sounds like something is hitting my roof. As if its in the attic or someone threw a rock on my roof. I kept convincing...

Dripping Noise from Ceiling [ 9 Answers ]

Dear experts: I am a new home owner and know almost nothing about the house. Hopefully you can help me out with this annoying sound. Recently I heard some dripping sound from the ceiling between ground and second floor. I never heard about the noise before until last week I raised the...

Heater loud noise when shuts down, cold air returns are whistling [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved to a new home that is about 3500 square feet and has a basement. I know part of it, is just getting used to the new sounds. However, our heater, when it shuts off, makes a huge 'BOOM' sound! Is that just the way it goes? Also, after the heater shuts off... the fan must still be...

Ceiling Fan Motor Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 4 ceiling fans (2 Hampton Bay and 2 Hunter) and experienced the same thing. A humming sound from the motors on all of them. I used 12G wiring and spliced into 12G existing wiring in the attic. The mfrs don't understand why - one has asked if I have enough power going to them. ...

Shower making high pitch whistling noise [ 4 Answers ]

My shower makes a high pitched whistling noise. This doesn't happen all of the time, and seems to be more pronounced when changing the temperature from hot to cold. It may come and go, or may make the noise during the duration of the shower. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Any help would...

View more questions Search