Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AuntieM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
    How to remove light bulb from loose socket in ceiling fixture
    The bulb burned out and when I tried to replace it I found it was stuck. So I used just a little elbow grease, and the socket came loose. So now it all turns round and round, and the bulb still doesn't come out. I don't want to twist the dratted wires off. And I can't grip the socket, because it's all tucked inside a pretty little glass shade. So how do I get the whole thing apart and then back together properly?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Start by unplugging the lamp or shutting off power for the circuit at the panel. Is the brass socket actually turning or is it possible the glass globe of the light has come loose from its brass base?

Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
    This is a lamp kit attached to a ceiling fan; it has four downward lights with glass bell-shaped shades, and the light bulbs are inside those screwed into white sockets. It is the light-bulb that is stuck in the socket and not moving, but the socket itself turns and wiggles. The light bulb is intact. I can't get my fingers (or much of anything else, either) between the bulb and the shade to hold the socket.

Dec 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieM View Post
    This is a lamp kit attached to a ceiling fan; it has four downward lights with glass bell-shaped shades, and the light bulbs are inside those screwed into white sockets. It is the light-bulb that is stuck in the socket and not moving, but the socket itself turns and wiggles. The light bulb is intact. I can't get my fingers (or much of anything else, either) between the bulb and the shade to hold the socket.
    Can you remove the glass shade?

Dec 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Can you remove the glass shade?
    The light bulb is bigger than the hole in the shade, so the shade would then hang from the bulb.

Dec 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieM View Post
    The light bulb is bigger than the hole in the shade, so the shade would then hang from the bulb.
    I thought that might be the case but if you loosen the shade you might be able to reach behind it with needle nose players to hold the socket . Light kits are sold cheap and made cheaper. Your has to come apart and that socket rebuilt. I would not bother, just buy a new light kit at a box store

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling fan with a standard 2 bulb light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

After removing the ceiling fan there were two cables of wire coming into the junction box in the ceiling. One cable (I think from the wall switch) has a red, black, white, and bare copper ground wire. The other cable in the junction box has a black, white, and bare copper ground wire. When I...

Correct voltage in light bulb socket, but bulb(s) won't light [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding a 4-light kit on a residential ceiling fan (Hampton Bay). 20 A circuit, nothing else on in circuit (house is vacant). No wall switch; all switching done at fan/light kit (separate pull chains). Fan turns fine. 122 VAC as measured w/ a Fluke meter within light bulb socket. Have...

One socket of light fixture not working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fixture with 2 bulb sockets. One of the sockets was not working, I assumed that it was old and needed to be replaced. I purchased a new fixture and wired it the same way as the old one, white to white and black to black. I still have the same issue. One socket is not working. ...

How do I remove old pull chain light fixture from ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Gulf Coast Ceiling Fan with a low profile light fixture. It has 2 separate pull chains. One for the fan and one for the light. The light pull chain is the problem. It is not turning off the light by the chain. The wall switch turns off both the fan and the light. This tells me it's the...

Hard to remove mini spot light from Hampton Bay Ceiling Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fixture with three mini spot lights. One of the bulbs has blown out and needs to be replaced. However, we are having a problem doing this. There is no room for us to get our hands around the bulb to remove it. The bulbs have 2 prongs that fit into the base and twist to...

View more questions Search