Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdtat2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 07:15 PM
    Electric water heater tripping circuit breaker
    Hello, I have a 9 year old electric 50 gal. heater and recently it has been throwing the breaker and now it just won't work at all can this be a burnt out element or possibly an issue with sediment build up or might it be a bit of both? What is the suggested course of repair or would it be better to just replace it all together? Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 08:14 PM
    By your description, I think you may have a defectrive 30 amp. Breaker. Here, if your thermostats or your elements were defective your upper thermostat would have tripped out and indicated an issue with the thermostat or the elements... ;)

I'd replace the 30 amp. Double pole breaker itself if I were you (about $12.00)... just be sure to replace with a panel specific breaker (i.e. a cutler-hammer with a cutler-hammer, or a siemens for a siemens, etc. ).

Be sure to take a minute and look at the heater access panels just in case I am wrong (looking for moisture/leaks here)... otherwise, try what I present... should resolve the issue!

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
    There's another explanation that I ran into some years back. I got a call that the heater was tripping the breaker, But it would work for a while and then trip the breaker. I spent a hour trying o make it trip but no joy. Then just as I was getting back in my truck the OP came out of the unit and told me it just tripped the breaker again. I went back in with my Amp-Probe and checked the amps. It was pulling 38 amps.
    Now every electric water heater has opposing elements. That means only one element is energized at a time. A element pulls 19 amps. Mystery solved! The thermostat was turning on both at the same time. Replaced the thermostat and that solved the problem. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 07:38 AM
    That is cool, Tom. I haven't seen that before, but it certainly makes sense! Great info.!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker tripping on electric well pump [ 9 Answers ]

I have an electric well pump which trips the circuit breaker. The pump does not seem to work. I can reset the breaker but it trips again after five minutes or so. Do I have a pump problem or an electrical problem?

Why does my hot water heater keep tripping the circuit breaker? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought my home approximately 1.5 years ago and had installed a new GE hot water heater at that time. For several months now, it keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I noticed lately that when I go to reset the circuit breaker, that particular breaker is hot to the touch, not warm but hot. Could...

Water pump circuit breaker tripping [ 0 Answers ]

We had a thunderstorm followed by power outage last night, this morning I went to use the water and it slowly went dead. I began by inspecting the pressure tank and pressure control switch, then found the outside water pump breaker was tripped, upon resetting the water was back on! But wait,...

Why my circuit breaker keeps tripping in a submersible water pump? [ 13 Answers ]

We live in the lower Hudson Valley of New York State where currently we're getting lots of rain. Is it possible that something happened to the wiring causing a short circuit? Water pump will trip 20-25 seconds immediately after being reset. Right afterward, it will trip again within 10-15...

Why is my circuit breaker keep tripping on a submersible water pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a submersible water about 300 feet or so. When the breaker trips I turn it on it stays on for a little bit 10 to 30 minutes then trips. What's wrong, all this started after a bad rain storm.

View more questions Search