Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcusray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Hunting rights for convicted felons
    Can a convicted felon in the state of Kentucky get their rights back to buy a firearm for hunting?
    lovemyfamily28 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
    I live in Maine but I do believe state laws are very close on this, It depends on what felony , ex: if you were convicted of a felony with a firearm then NO there is no getting it back, I suggest going to your local court house and finding out all your options or contacting a nonprofit lawyers group to help you fight to get it back.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
    It's a crime under federal law for you to possess firearms:

" 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts
    (g)It shall be unlawful for any person
    (1)who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    ..."

That is unless your conviction has been expunged, set aside, or you have been pardoned by the state of Kentucky:

"
    18 USC § 921 - Definitions
    20)The term “crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” does not include—
    What constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held. Any conviction which has been expunged, or set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of this chapter, unless such pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms. "
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    It's a crime under federal law for you to possess firearms:

" 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts
    (g)It shall be unlawful for any person
    (1)who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    ..."

That is unless your conviction has been expunged, set aside, or you have been pardoned by the state of Kentucky:

"
    18 USC § 921 - Definitions
    20)The term “crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” does not include—
    What constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held. Any conviction which has been expunged, or set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of this chapter, unless such pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms. "
    In other words, no. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2012, 04:09 AM
    They may hunt, just not with a firearm. Reason most bow hunt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunting rights for felons in Washington [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I am able to get my concealed weapons permit and/or hunting license if not what can I use instead of a gun to hunt with? PS. In Washington state

Civil rights for fla. Convicted felons [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. Can my wife own a firearm?

Civil rights for fla. Convicted felons [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. Can my wife own a firearm? Conviction was 22 years ago.

Hunting rights for convicted felons in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Can convicted felons hunt with a bow and or crossbow in the state of Florida? Also can they be with another hunter that is gun hunting?

Hunting regulations for convicted felons [ 2 Answers ]

Can I deer hunt in Michigan during season with a valid hunting license, if I have a felony conviction on my record.

View more questions Search