Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbolduc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 06:00 AM
    14 month old speech
    My daughter is 14 months and babbles all the time. I swear she sounds like she's speaking Chinese. She says words here and there, she knows mama for me and says dada. I haven't really heard her say words that make sense. I try to get her to say thank you and your welcome as I play with hrr taking a toy and giving it back. But she doesn't say if anymore. She understands everything I tell her. And walks around the house shaking her finger saying no no no. But not sure how to get her to speak more words so I can understand what she wants. Sometimes its difficult to tell. She will whine and cry more so not sure how to help her speech develop more. I'm a stay at home mom so I've got all the time in the world!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 06:04 AM
    It sounds like she is a very smart and aware little girl. Have you talked with the pediatrician about this?
    mbolduc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It sounds like she is a very smart and aware little girl. Have you talked with the pediatrician about this?
    No not yet. My next appointment I will be. She seems very bright. And yet has a little attitude already. She has 4 older siblings so she gets a lot of attention.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 06:36 AM
    She's only 14 months old. She shouldn't be talking yet. Mama, Dada, No... that should be about the level of her vocabulary.

Speak with your pediatrician, but this is normal development for this age group.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I agree, you are wanting too much too fast, don't compare to older bothers and sisters.

I see no issue yet.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 07:43 AM
    At that age, all my daughter would say is "dadda" and a form of "kit cat"... she developed fine... now, at age 12, she says way too much! 14 months is a little early to be expecting full conversations with a child.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 07:46 AM
    14 months is a little early to be expecting full conversations with a child.
    True that! This won't happen until later in the 2's or 3's. And even then some of their language will be unintelligible.

At 14 months many children aren't even walking yet much less speaking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to help 14 month old with speech and focusing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My 14 month old son has great motor skills but doesn't speak (may occasionally say dada or mama). He does not respond to his name, and only sometimes will stop and look back when his name is called. He does not points to objects when I ask him about face parts, dogs names, sometimes he looks...

Month to month lease amended from 6 month to 12 month is it still a month to month [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original month to month lease set for 6 months At the end of the 6 months, an amendment page was added that reads for this is a 1 year lease Is this still a month to month lease?

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

View more questions Search