Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jan0115 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Mounting fan (Hampton Bay Windward II) on sloped ceiling
    I'm having an electrician install this fan in my living room with a sloped ceiling (slopes from 1st floor to second - 45 degrees?). The electrician (who has NOT read the instructions ;) ) believes I need a different canopy cover, one with an elongated opening, due to the slope of my ceiling. From what I read (and THINK I understand) in the installation instructions, in addition to running all over town looking & asking, it seems that the canopy I have should work, the one that came with the fan. Has anyone installed this fan on a sloped ceiling? If you needed a different canopy cover, where did you get it? I have a generic white one that I think I'll paint, if that's what it takes to make the electrician happy & finally get this bad boy installed, though if I can tell him that other people have had success with the provided (and much nicer) canopy cover, that's even better. Thanks for your help!
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 10, 2007, 12:53 PM
    First up, lets call this a vaulted ceiling for a little upscale atmosphere. :D
    Secondly, depending on the type of ceiling outlet box exists and if the weight of the fan is over 35 lbs, code requires an outlet support box for that weight. If the fan is (including pendant) is over 35 lbs, the unit must be hung by the rafter framing directly.
    With all that out of the way, then the canopy must be a slotted type that will allow rotation and flush mounting to the finished surface. If it does, there should be no problem here. There is one exception, if the axial pivot is not parallel in a horizontal swinging position, then the outlet must be rotated another 90degrees to allow the mounting.
    Is my explanation making any sense? Nm:)

Mar 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Yes, it does, and thank you! Had to think through the axial-pivot-point-horizontal-fandango, but once I did, I got it. (See why I hired the electrician? :o ) More specifically, though, I'm wondering if others have been able to achieve the aforementioned fandango using the provided cover with this particular fan. I'm not about to climb up there myself so I have to trust the E's experience & judgement. It just looks to me, on paper, like the provided cover is supposed to work in a vaulted ceiling configuration. Incidentally, the new fan is replacing a half-ton, prehistoric Hunter, so it appears the appropriate support is already in place. I prefer "vaulted" to "sloped" myself; thanks for the affirmation. :cool:
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Yer welcome. Nm:)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 04:43 PM
    You should be able to use the canopy that came with the fan unless your ceiling has a very steep slope. If so, they make kits for that.

What did you do with the old Hunter?

Mar 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    You should be able to use the canopy that came with the fan unless your ceiling has a very steep slope. If so, they make kits for that.

What did you do with the old Hunter?

I threw that filthy, oil-leaking monstrosity into the dumpster, with glee. The bit of research I did online suggested it was made in the '70's, and had a cast-iron housing. It's probably been in this house since the place was built (approx. 1982). I do still have the filthy, oil-covered white globe that I'll probably take to the local Habitat for Humanity building supply place.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I'm happy to say the new fan is hanging, though with an ugly generic canopy. It works, though, and I'm leaving it alone.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Too bad, I would have bought the filthy, oil-leaking monstrosity from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton Bay Windward II [ 7 Answers ]

I have a HB Windward II 54" fan with a circline light. Had it for three years. The light was working fine up until recently. Changed the bulb but still not working. Checked the batteries. The fan works fine. Thank you. dashwp

Hampton Bay Fan, Windward II [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use 2 remotes for 1 fan? Thanks Kevin

View more questions Search