Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Len80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 03:20 AM
    My son is two years old and snuck behind me as I was brushing my teeth to flush a tangerine down the toilet (he has figured out how to open the safety device we have on the toilet). No water is backing up in the shower or the sink, so from research it-it means that it isn't stuck too far beyond the bowl, right? We've tried plunging and of course that will not work.. How would I go about removing the tangerine? Or should I just call a plumber?

And I truly do not feel that the sulfuric acid is safe at all, so I do not even want to use that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 16, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Can you get to the plumbing below the bathroom? Is there a cleanout plug?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 05:23 AM
    So water is backing up in the toilet ?

If so, yes, it is very likely stuck in the "U" of the toilet itself, If it is, the toilet will have to be taken up from the floor and the object removed from the bottom side ( and it will not be easy)

If it is in the actual drain pipe, I agree, if there is a basement or crawl space, there should be a clear out for the toilet
    current pert

Nov 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
    I mis-read 'no water is backing up' as 'now water is backing up.' What is your evidence that it is still in the toilet?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Every house should have this tool,(see image), This is a closet auger, Auger the bowl and if you can flush paper down then it's clear, Good luck and NEVER use any acid to clear a clog. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Nov 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Maintenance came, use that toilet auger and I think she made it worse! Before, water flushed and went down. Now, it just fills up to the rim and then slowly seeps down. Should I give in and use sulfuric acid to disolve the tangerine? Or call the plumber? She said the toilet will qprobably needs to be replaced. Everything is underground, no crawl space or acess to the piping.
    current pert

Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
    Don't pour anything down a toilet that isn't specifically designed for toilets. You will destroy the porcelain glaze and endanger your safety as well.
    The auger probably drove it to the second bend. They need to come back and keep working on it (unless it rots just enough to go down by flushing or the plunger).
    I see no reason to replace a toilet because of a tangerine. The next step would be to take it off the floor and clean it from the underside.

Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
    Awesome! They sent a different maintenance man, and he kept using the toilet auger and pushed the tangerine through. No chemicals used at all! Nice and safe for the ocean :) Thank you guys for all the advice and since of sanity! Lol
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
    And we thank you for the update. From on let the kid play with fruit that's too big to go down the potty, Cantaloupe or watermelon come to mind, Glad you're all fixed up, Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My grandson flushed a toy into the toilet my husband took toilet off but we still ca [ 3 Answers ]

My grandson told us he flushed a toy down the toilet but we took the toilet off and cleaned it all out didn't find it so we put toilet back on and it still won't flush water comes to the top and drains slowly down but doesn't take waste out of toilet> where else could my husband look?

Girgling in toilet and shower when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new septic tank and leach field installed in Jan of 08. In Jan 09 we begin to notice the shower drains girgling when we flushed the toilets and also noticed septic water coming up through the ground on the lower and last run of the leach field. I discovered that my underground gutter...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

View more questions Search