Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougfms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Installing transformer for Alarm System
    Hello
    I am wanting to install a new transformer for my alarm system. The old one was taken out by a friend and was incorrectly installed according to him (an electrician).
    It is a 16.5 V transformer which sat at the bottom of the panel. It has 2 black wires coming from it. There is a place to screw the transformer into the panel at the bottom. I am assuming one of the black wires goes into the main ground bar. However, where does the other black wire go? How does the alarm system setup? This is an older type alarm system.

Is there a place where I can find diagrams for alarms? No spam please!

Thanks

HB
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2006, 04:28 PM
    The 2 primary wires go to the incoming 120 volts, I guess after any shut off switch, one to hot, and as you said, the other to the ground. Got to have at least 4 wires. Did the secondaries, 16.5 V plug right into the system? Since it is AC, it doesn't matter which wire is which for either pair.

Can't help you much on the other questions. A simple alarm just has a circuit around the area. Break the circuit, and the alarm trips.
    authorjoseph Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 08:25 AM
    If it is a 16.5 V DC class 2 transformer it should have 1 wire going to the 12v dc + terminal on your alarm panel, and the other wire goes to ground. I am an electrician and can verify that no class 2 transformers are correctly installed by alarm companies, they work with low voltage, and do not check resistance or ground on the transformer. 90 percent of all alarm panels manufactured between 1980 and now will have the 12V power circuit as the first two terminals on the lower left of the main control panel. If you know the manufacture if the circuit board, you can get schematics and user manuals off the internet at the manufacturers website. Good luck.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Many of the Newer panels have an AC transformer(16.5 volts among others)and is AC 16.5 into Panel, It is rectified/filtered regulated and charges 12 volt(usually)battery, all devices will be 12 volts, when ac is lost, Dc is powering all 12 volt devices, a good setup.
    What panel and manufacturer do you have. Many times their will be a legend on cover.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Strat, I can see it from a new guy, but did you notice the date of this thread?:D :eek:
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 06:28 AM
    I saw a response from the same day and responded, Once I clicked "post answer", then I noticed the date. Thanks.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Don't you hate it when that happens? :rolleyes:

I'm just goofin on you. :D :p
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Every time. Take care
    Plus I wanted to mention, MOST panels use an AC transformer, and besides the 2 or 3 connections for primary, the secondary can have 2, 3, 4, and 5 connections.
    2, is low voltage only.
    3, is low voltage and ground.
    4, is low voltage and data in and out for PLC control
    5, is low voltage, the 2 data, and 1 ground.
    red345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Hello ,

I have a universal class 2 plug in transformer for my security alarm system. Once I noticed that it is really hot not warm . I unplugged it and alarm system is off . What should I do now? Try it one more time OR get a new transformer.
    Thank you
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
    First, in the future please respond to the main board with a new post... more will see your
    Question.
    If this is a small transformer it likely won't cost much to replace. The piece of mind
    Would be worth it...
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
    If you unplug the AC and your system goes down, the Battery needs to be replaced or you have a bad connection.
    The Voltage should be the same, and the VA's must not be smaller, this may be your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a 2 sump pump system [ 1 Answers ]

I got a client asking me how I can install a 2 sump pump system in case one fails or the power goes out Anyone can send me some pictures how to do so please the job needs to be done tomorrow It would be nice to get good detail how to install the 2 pumps Submersible only ...

Installing operating system on external drive [ 5 Answers ]

Can you please give me any help on installing Win98se on an external hard drive ? My main OS is Win XP and I can't seem to install 98se on the external drive. I can't boot up XP in DOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I have several old programs which I can't use on XP. Such as Adobe...

One or two transformer system? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my White-Rodgers 1F76-357 thermostat, but I need to know whether I have a one or two transformer system.

Trouble Installing System File [ 2 Answers ]

My motherboard CD will no longer install monitoring information. A dialogue box pops up with the header: 16 bit Windows Subsystem The message reads: C:\Windows\System32\autoexec.nt "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Window Applications. Choose 'Close' to...

View more questions Search