Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdecker12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
    How to clean your hot water heater with hydrogen peroxide
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2010, 12:52 PM

OK! I'm always ready to learn new things. How DO you clean your water heater with hydrogen peroxide? Back to you, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 02:20 PM

Hi Cdecker...

I'm going to guess that you have a recurring sulpher odor or a brown water issue or something similar... right?

Some people recommend bleach and others suggest hydrogen peroxide... others, like myself, first want to see if a replacement ANODE ROD might help eliminate the issue forever. Here, if you are having odor/color issues you might find that you need to change out the magnesium anode rod supplied with most water heaters and replace with an aluminum or zinc anode rod... less reactive.

If you decide you just want to use the hydrogen peroxide you'll want to shut off the water supply to the heater and you'll need to drain 5 gallons or so from the heater so you can unscrew the temperature and pressure relief valve to the heater and pour in 1-2 quarts of the hydrogen peroxide... let sit for hours as recommended and then fill/flush the system to clear the system of the issue. THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX HERE!

Tell us more about your issue(s)... glad to walk you through the steps to fix this for the long term!

Finally, tell us if you have municipal or well water and do you have a water softener in the house... let me know?

Mark
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 06:46 PM

I've tried the hydrogen peroxide deal. Barely worked at all for me. Bleach is much more effective.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2010, 05:14 AM

Hi Cdecker,
    Why are you asking about cleaning your water heater? Smelly water? Brown or discolored water? Let ne shown you how to flush your heater and keep it free of mineral build up.'

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back together the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer, Tom
    jtanker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 08:36 PM
    Mark
    Have a problem wit sulfur water. Have replaced the anode rod and even took it out and pluged the hole. I have an apartment complex with this problem three apartments have this odor, the apts. Are all on the end of different buildings. Have tried everything concievable, even contacted the health dept. wit no results,the things that normally work are not doing the trick. Any suggestions
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Hi Jtanker

Is the issue with both hot and cold water?

Is the issue isolated to specific faucets/valves, i.e. sink faucets only, shower valves, only, kitchen faucets only, etc.

If the issue is found at specific faucets I would remove the aerators from the faucets and clean them up real well... see if that helps.

Only end units are having the issue... no apartments between?

Have you tried flushing the tanks, or have you tried the hydrogen peroxide or bleach wash of the tanks?

Let me know more...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you clean the screen on a gas hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure. I have flushed my hot water heater tank and it did not improve. Someone said I might need to clean the screen but I am not sure how to do that or even get to it.

Hydrogen peroxide? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody no if the hydrogen peroxide that is used for the hydrogen peroxide douche is actually what hairdressers use?

Hydrogen Peroxide? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am currently working on a science project. My science teacher says any dangerous acids are not acceptable. My project involves hydrogen peroxide, is it dangerous?

Decomposing hydrogen peroxide [ 1 Answers ]

Heya! I'm doing a project on how the concentration of hydrogen peroxide effects the rate at which it decomposes and I need help!! And tank u! :) :) :)

View more questions Search