Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mswaldo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Blocked toilet with sulphuric acid down it
    Hi, my toilet was blocked and I poured a sulphuric acid drain cleaner (that had an extra plastic bag covering the bottle, I know, not a good sign) . But the people at my local home depot told me to use it and I followed all the instructions, and now... my toilet is a black vat and the black liquid isn't going down,
    I'd appreciate some help other than verbal abuse for my stupidity
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Welcome to AMHD mswaldo.

Did you read instructions on package before using it. It would have told you not to use in toilet.

U will have to run a snake down vent from roof and about 10 feet past the toilet. This should clear your blockage.

The toilet should flush OK.U may have to replace toilet because porcelain will be discolored.

Chuck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Rare I disagree with you Chuck, but I think we need to start at the basics here... just sounds like a badly clogged toilet to me!

In my opinion, mswaldo needs to purchase a CLOSET AUGER (see image... about $30.00), some leather gloves and a pair of safety goggles at this point and needs to snake/clear the blocked up toilet!

The people at home depot really screwed up recommending sulphuric acid for this application. I'd bring this up with a manager at the store!

I hope the people at home depot can at least show you how to use this tool!

Other than that, mswaldo needs to hire a plumber to fix this quickly!

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

mswaldo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Thank you, I'll get a plumber to do that
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
    I can not advise against using muratic acid, or any acid, in a enclosed area such as a rest room strongly enough. As a young boy I would take limed up toilet bowls out in the alley behind the shop and boil the lime out of them. Over half a century later my lungs still carry the scar tissue that the acid fumes caused. A few years ago I lost a good friend when he used a commercial drain cleaner containing sulfuric acid in a unvented bathroom. Acid IS NOT A GOOD IDEA to use to clear mineral buildup. Take it from one who's paid the price. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to 'dilute' Sulphuric Acid? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi friends, I want to prepare a Daniel cell, for which I need to prepare a solution of dilute Sulphuric Acid, but I do not know how to dilute the H2SO4, I mean how much quantity of distilled water (or what?) should I add to the concentrated Sulfuric Acid, to make it such which I could use in...

Calcium carbonate+sulphuric acid [ 3 Answers ]

When marble chips (calcium carbonate) are reacted with sulphuric acid, the reaction stops immediately. Why?? :confused:

How to determine the concentration of sulphuric acid? [ 1 Answers ]

Explanation Of How To Determine The Concentration Of A Solution Of Sulphuric Acid?:)

Calcium Carbonate + Sulphuric acid = ? [ 4 Answers ]

Calcium carbonate + sulphuric acid = ? I don't have a clue and need help!

View more questions Search