Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orangemaniac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Loud furnace blower
    A few weeks ago, my furnace blower got quite loud. So I removed the access panel to see what I could see. The fan blades were caked with dust... so I figured it was just out of balance. Pulled the squirell wheel, and cleaned most of the dust off. This just made it worse. Cleaned it a little more, and now it shakes so much, it sounds like it is banging against the side of the box. Any clue?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
    I would start by cleaning the blower wheel completely. This may require removing the motor and any other electronics and taking the wheel to the car wash and clean it up really well. If this doesn't help, it sure sounds like you will need a new blower motor. Sounds like the bearings are going out. Also, if you give the wheel a good push by hand and see a large noticeable wobble in the wheel, it may be a good idea to get a new wheel also. Most likely all you will need is a motor if cleaning the wheel doesn't work, but while you are in there, the wheel isn't too much of an extra expense on most units.
    orangemaniac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 02:58 AM
    Update... Removed a few wires so I could get the fan assembly completely out of the furnace. When I run the fan, it vibrates a little but not too bad. Until I put my hand/arm over the output. The more resistance I give, the more vibes, and louder it gets. There is a little wobble in the wheel, normal end play in the shaft, and slight play perpendicular to the motor. So, I guess my question is... Should I just try a new wheel first, or just go for the motor now too? I Obviously don't want to spend the money on a new motor if I don't need to. It's starting to get chilly in Upstate NY . Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2012, 04:12 PM
    You could start with a new wheel, but while you have the assembly out, I would opt for a new motor too. Also, before doing anything, while you have the blower assembly out, crawl up in the furnace and look up where the blower goes. Can you see straight up through the furnace, or is there a radiator looking contraption (secondary heat exchanger) that is also plugged up with dirt etc. If there is, clean it up good with a wire brush and shop vac. Also, if you have central a/c, your evap coil on top of the furnace is most likely plugged up too and in need of cleaning. Get these all cleaned up and maybe try putting the current blower assembly back in and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace start up is loud - swooshing sound and motor is loud while on [ 2 Answers ]

When the furnace starts up it makes a large swoosh sound and is very loud while it it on. Seems to be heating fine and shuts off fine. How can I fix this problem?

Furnace blower loud train like noise [ 20 Answers ]

My furnace blower recently started making a loud, low, steady train like noise every time it comes on. It is not a higher pitched squeek, but more like an engine. It is moving air and the cage is spinning. My furnace is supposed to be a perm lubricated motor. Help! I have the blower motor...

Older clare furnace with loud blower motor [ 8 Answers ]

I have a clare furnace model # HEM8 90-8 direct vent. The blower motor started making a lot of noise so I removed it and checked it out. There is a fan blade inside and it broke free from the piece that slips over the shaft. I tried to get it to stay which it did for a bit and it started...

Blower motor to loud [ 0 Answers ]

Lound blower motor & should the fan cage have play in the shaft.I"m able to move shaft in & out about a 3/4 inch.. is that making the loud vibration & huming noise

Goodman furnace with loud blower fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to a new home with a Goodman furnace. It seems to function well, but there is excessive wind noise coming through the ducts. Is there any way to quiet down this system? Closing the vent ducts just makes it nosier. It is hard to sleep at night when the furnace kicks on.

View more questions Search