Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgalea71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:47 AM
    How to extend tub spout if too short
    I have a similar problem but it's the tub spout that's too short, is there an extender I can buy without cutting the copper pipe and adding pieces?
    Thanks
    Joanna
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 10:03 AM

Please see the images below and tell us which one is your spout, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

meganstewie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Hi John! I know this post was from 2 years ago... But I'm having the same problem. With the new tile on the shower wall, the pipe is now slightly too short for the faucet spout. I have the nose connection (#4) shown above.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Hi Meganstewie

Is it that the pipe is too short? If so, approximately how short is it? I'm thinking you could use a threaded brass coupling and a "close" brass nipple, maybe... ;)

Let me know how far off you are O.K?

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
    Hello Meganstewie,

Please respond to Tom, if it meets the dimensions as shown in the image below and it is 1/2" copper pipe you can use a slip fit #6, Thanks
    John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Hi Megan and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    Nose connection? That means with the tile you can no longer reach the threads in the spout.
    Simple repair!
    First figure how short you are, Let's say you're 3/8" shy of making a connection.
    Cut a piece out of the copper pipe 1" long. Now cut another piece of 1/2" copper 1 3/8 " long, You may now solder the piece in using two couplings or two Sharkbite connectors.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to install the tub spout with a tub/shower set? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to install the tub spout portion of a tub/shower trim package?

Can I replace a slip on tub spout with no diverter to a tub spout with a diverter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slip on tub spout that has no diverter. I would like to exchange this tub spout with one that has a diverter.

Tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tub spout with a diverter the diverter has to remain up or else I will leak down my basement. Now it leaks every time after a shower. Help

Tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

Can a spout with a pop-up knob be used to replace a normal spout that didn't have a pop-up from the beginning ?

Tub Spout [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old tub spout with diverter that I am trying to replace. The pipe underneath has a 1 1/4" adapter attached that has been in place for 10 years. My question is how do I remove that adapter? I know heating it is an option, but what should I use that won't melt the plastic tub wall, and how...

View more questions Search