Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Haley129 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Highlights too light
    I got highlights today but there are too many of them and they are way too blonde for my natural underlying brunette color. What can I do to tone down these highlights and also help my brunette color to show through more?

Thanks!
    shannonoleyar Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Haley,
    Go back to the salon that colored your hair and tell them how you feel. They may fix it for free if your colorist got bleach happy but if you requested heavy highlights they may ask you to pay to fix it. Bleach (what they do to lighten hair) strips away the color from your hair shaft and in doing so damages your hair. If they dye your hair back to brunette, it stains the blonde hair and doesn't usually damage it anymore. If you chose to fix it yourself, select a hair dye that is a few shades lighter than your brunette color and use a wide tooth comb to apply the hair dye... sparingly! You'll spread more brown but won't completely lose the highlights. It will slightly darken some but not others. Moderation is key... if you simply slap on the hair dye all over your head, then the blonde highlights are gone. My advice is the salon unless your really not that picky about the exact highlights.
    *Maybe you should try washing your hair w/ special shampoo made for brunettes (like Pantene's new line or John Frieda) a few times in a row... then condition well. (that may tone it down) Give it a few days to get used to it and see what your friends think about it. If the color is dramatic, maybe you just need a few days to get used to it. Besides, summer coming... lighten up! Good luck!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
    When applying highlights, you shouldn't go more than three or four shades lighter or darker than your natural color, as the results will be unnatural. Do not attempt to fix it yourself, it could make matters worse. I recommend that you go back to the salon and have them fix your hair. The hairstylist will apply a toner to tone down the highlights.
    10clementines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley129
    I got highlights today but there are too many of them and they are way too blonde for my natural underlying brunette color. What can I do to tone down these highlights and also help my brunette color to show through more?

Thanks!
    I had the same thing happen to me - but I had them done on a Saturday. The salon was closed Sun. & Mondays. I COULD NOT leave it that way, but I was afraid to do a box color on top of it because it could turn green.
    As a quick, temporary fix, I used my kids brown crayola marker & lightly streaked it over the blonde. This washes out, but it allowed me to leave the house without feeling like a freak.
    Hope that helps :-)
    Kcat Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Apr 6, 2010, 08:17 PM

I really loved the chocolate red brown I have but I had an idea I wanted two or three foils in the front for the Halo Highlights, well it looks blond! WOW it is supposed to be two shades lighter than my hair, I ran to the store and bought wash in wash out color until I can call my stylist and tell her to help me cover it with the original color the front of my hair does not match the rest of my hair ! I'm so glad I only did three foils!
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2010, 07:49 AM

You can use a glaze or a toner in a darker shade. You can get one a beauty supply shop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fading highlights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I have naturally medium brown hair and I've been highlight my hair blonde for the last year. My hair dresser gave me full highlights the last two times. I really want to fade the highlights and go back to my original hair color. I did dye it brown last year but it didn't look right because it...

Highlights [ 2 Answers ]

:( I Want To Know How Can I Get Really Blond Highlights(white) Every Time I Do Highlights They Are More Yellow Blond Than Whitewithout Damaging The Hair As Much? What Tonner Should I Use.

Hair Highlights [ 1 Answers ]

I recently dyed my hair burgundy and found out that it really darkened. I would like to put a highlight in, what color should I highlight burgundy colored hair?

Hair highlights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to all of this but was wondering if any one could help yes I've done it I put highlights in my hair and it's gone wrong there are to many can anyone tell me how to tone them down or can I colour them someway please please help

Highlights question [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have naturally dark brown hair and about a month ago I got caramel/blonde colored highlights put in it. I'm now tired of it and was wondering if there was anything I could use/do to make the color fade out faster. Thanks!

View more questions Search