Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LauraLee168 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Statute Of Limitation after Dismissal without Prejudice
    We were previously sued over a credit card debt obviously belonging to someone else with similar name. Case was dismissed without prejudice in Jan of 07, we live in Florida - due to the plaintiff not producing any documentation that the court ordered. Now, it seems that the debt was resold and the nightmare is starting over.

Is there a statute of limitations? Can creditors keep selling this same debt and taking us back to court over and over? My husband is disabled and is undergoing cancer treatment and does not need to have this aggravation.

Any answers appreciated!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraLee168 View Post
    We were previously sued over a credit card debt obviously belonging to someone else with similar name. Case was dismissed without prejudice in Jan of 07, we live in Florida - due to the plaintiff not producing any documentation that the court ordered. Now, it seems that the debt was resold and the nightmare is starting over.

Is there a statute of limitations? Can creditors keep selling this same debt and taking us back to court over and over? My husband is disabled and is undergoing cancer treatment and does not need to have this aggravation.

Any answers appreciated!

The attempts to collect can pretty much go on forever - I don't understand why it was dismissed for failure to produce documentation instead of upon proof that it's not your debt.

When the collector calls give him/her the info from the last round in Court and you can also write the original creditor (assuming you have the papers and know who that is) and tell them they have the wrong person.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 09:51 AM

Yes, there is a SOL on the time in which a collector can legally collect the money. But as Judy pointed out(as she always wisely does :) ), collectors will continue to bother you even after the SOL has expired. They want to get paid and that's the bottom line.

I would send a letter demanding that they provide you with documentation showing your signature, social security number, etc. to be 100% positive that this debt is, in fact, not yours. If they refuse to provide you with said documentation, file a dispute with the credit bureau to have it removed from your credit report. BUT - make sure that it's not your debt, otherwise you could be making more trouble for yourself.
    elvalyn Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Sep 26, 2012, 04:20 AM
    I know this is an old question but it may help someone.
    Collections doesn't have to be a nightmare.Download a program called callcorder.When you have configured it and know its working tell the caller not to call anymore.Be sure it was recorded.After that if they call it cost $1000.00 per call even if you don't answer it.Callcorder records the number calling plus the conversation if any.You have to have caller ID enabled from your phone provider to record there number.It is a federal violation for them to call after you request them to stop.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by elvalyn View Post
    I know this is an old question but it may help someone.
    Collections doesn't have to be a nightmare.Download a program called callcorder.When you have configured it and know its working tell the caller not to call anymore.Be sure it was recorded.After that if they call it cost $1000.00 per call even if you don't answer it.Callcorder records the number calling plus the conversation if any.You have to have caller ID enabled from your phone provider to record there number.It is a federal violation for them to call after you request them to stop.

It is a FELONY in many States to record another party without his/her knowledge.

This is very bad "legal" advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dismissal Without Prejudice - Account [ 2 Answers ]

How much time does the plaintiff have until they can retry the case? My credit card comp sued me, however, they failed to prove that the account was mines.

Statute of limitation [ 2 Answers ]

If a debt is covered by the statute of limitations the debt still exists and the collection agency can not win judgement. The debt still is still onrecord for 7 years ? Can a lien be put on my house? Thanks in advance for any advise

Statute of Limitation? [ 3 Answers ]

Just have a question about how I can get information on the statute of limitation in New Mexico for various debts.

Statute of limitation [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitation of filing a claim within Ontario for a liquidated claim or more specifically for services rendered?

Statute of limitation [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a statue of limitation on bankruptcy in Maryland? If so what is the time frame?

View more questions Search