Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wrenwell Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 09:12 PM
    How to remove softener dispenser
    Hi--have an older KitchenAid washing machine (no instruction manual) and am wondering how to remove the top of the softener dispenser so I can clean it. The softener is added through a hole at the top of the agitator. I had another washer which worked the same way and you could just lift the top portion of the agitator off. The top portion of the KitchenAid will turn as if I'm unscrewing it but does not come off, neither will it pull off. Need to clean the unit as the softener has gunked up the holes on the agitator shaft and the softener is not dispensing properly.
    Thanks, Sandi
    DeComposer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 04:02 PM
    I have a Kitchen Aid KAWS777E... and the instruction manual. Here's what it says regarding removal of the fabric softener dispenser from the agitator: Remove the dispenser by grasping the top of the dispenser with both hands and squeezing and pushing upwards with thumbs.

The retention mechanism is pretty simple, really; there are about half a dozen nubs spaced evenly around the bottom of the dispenser which snap into a lip around the inside of the agitator's top.

I've found that holding the agitator steady with one hand and firmly pulling upwards on the dispenser snaps it out pretty easily.

Flushing the dispenser with hot water gets most of the build-up out. You'll also notice that there are small dispenser holes part way down the agitator (you'll want to leave the seal inside the agitator--that protects the mechanical parts from water and fabric softener). The dispenser holes are likely clogged with fabric softener gunk. Paper towels and hot water will quickly clean these.

Replacing the dispenser is simply a matter of snapping it back into place.
    maka Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwell
    Hi--have an older KitchenAid washing machine (no instruction manual) and am wondering how to remove the top of the softener dispenser so I can clean it. The softener is added through a hole at the top of the agitator. I had another washer which worked the same way and you could just lift the top portion of the agitator off. The top portion of the KitchenAid will turn as if I'm unscrewing it but does not come off, neither will it pull off. Need to clean the unit as the softener has gunked up the holes on the agitator shaft and the softener is not dispensing properly.
    Thanks, Sandi
    Try putting the hottest water possible into the softener hole-that might help. Other wise, I suggest your call Whirlpool 800-807-6777 and ask for some technical advice about it... good luck
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
    The old fabric softener is the "gummiest goo" to try to clean out of a washing machine. While rebuilding hundreds of used washers over three decades it was always a challenge to clean that crap out of the middle of agitators. We tried all kinds of solvents , detergents along with hot water and mostly it was endless scraping and flushing that finally got rid of it. Do yourself a favor after you get it clean and stick with the dryer sheets. If you have to use liquid softener, mix it with at least as much water before putting it into the dispenser.
    bigfish76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Thanks did as suggested, back in operation
    bigfish76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish76 View Post
    Thanks did as suggested, back in operation
    Top came off easy. Took a lot of flushing with hot water. Run top under tap hot water,shaking to get out bigger particules. Snap top back on, that's all it took

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Water Dispenser not working [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old GE SS refrig. The water dispenser stopped working. I determined that the water valve in the back was bad and I've replaced it. Now, I'm getting water to the door (disconnect the tube in front, hit the dispenser lever and water flows), but not to the dispenser. I've tried...

GE Refrigerator water dispenser intermittently working [ 229 Answers ]

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The...

Kenmore Front Loading Detergent Dispenser [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I have a Kenmore front loading washer that is relatively new with the detergent/bleach/fabric softener dispenser that pulls out like a little drawer. Lately when I put the fabric softener in -it all leaks into the load right away instead of waiting to release during the rinse...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

View more questions Search