Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedarwoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
    How to sell real ivory
    I have recently inherited of 2 ivory tusk carved into alligators. I am interested in selling them. I have heard that it was difficult. Is there still a market for ivory. If yes ,how would go about it? To my knowledge they have been purchased around 1960s.
    Thanks for any help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 05:43 PM
    It is illegal to sell ivory
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Hi, cedarwoods!

It's somewhat of a murky issue...

Do you know the year that they were manufactured?

What kind of ivory are they?

Are you sure they're real ivory, please?

Thanks!
    Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, cedarwoods!

It's somewhat of a murky issue...

Thanks!
    Selling ivory is not a 'murky issue'. Anything, anywhere that encourages the poaching of elephant tusks in Africa is not murky. Poachers kill elephants, leave the body and cut out the tusks. I have seen pictures of elephant tusks stock piled in warehouses, still bloodied, waiting to be sold. Every country is outraged by this despicable practice and as long as there is even a black market, it will be carried on until elephants are on the endangered list.

Tick
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 28, 2010, 12:25 PM

Read through this posting on selling ivory. There are definite laws about it.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crafts...ys-392315.html
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bleusong52 View Post
    Read through this posting on selling ivory. There are definite laws about it.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crafts...ys-392315.html
    Excellent sleuthing, bleu !

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 10:51 PM
    Not meaning to sound like a snot, that's why I asked the questions that I did. I've been a piano tuner/technician a long, long time. One of the things that I do is to replace keytops on pianos. That could be with real ivory or certain types of plastics.

It is legal to sell it in the U.S. if certain conditions are met.

Murky issue? Yes. Because of real ivory having been used for so many things and for the qualifying factors to sell real ivory frequently being difficult to substantiate as well as dispute, it's been difficult for any government to enforce laws that were and have been enacted and those that are currently in place.

I certainly do sympanthize with your feelings tickle concerning the way animals have been mistreated with poachers and others obtaining the ivory. There are ways to obtain tusks without killing an animal, but that is another subject...

Thanks!
    Kodiak Bear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
    I am curious as to why tickle has an "expert" qualification under their name. He/She is clearly not an expert on this subject. I have always loved the adage "Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you a fool than open it and have them be absolutely certain". The reigning authority on this is the US Fish and Wildlife service and they are regulated by C.I.T.E.S. (Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species). The law reads as such AFRICAN ELEPHANT: This is on the C.I.T.E.S. endangered species list. The importation, selling and buying of this ivory IS NOT ALLOWED INTERNATIONALLY. It cannot be exported or imported to the U.S. and most of the countries delegated to the U.N., BUT... it is LEGAL TO OWN, SELL, BUY, or SHIP within the boundaries of the U.S. and there are NO PERMITS or REGISTRATION requirements! *The majority of african elephant ivory is "old estate" ivory that was brought into this country since its' inception. Basically you can sell within the country borders.
    Other information suggests that you need to have it certified as antique by an authorized expert. I do not know if that is true. But I do know that this info can be discovered by anyone who is "expert" enough to spell g-o-o-g-l-e.
    randallsocks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
    These are from hundreds of years ago, calm down
    Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by randallsocks View Post
    These are from hundreds of years ago, calm down
    I never saw that post by kodiak bear, and although I am classed as an expert, I do my research with due diligence, so I take exception to his post and would have answered as such.thank you for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, slaughter of elephants does go on for the tusks, no matter what we do to curb the sale of ivory on this continent; but, truth be told, uses for ivory are fast diminishing. It is no longer needed for piano keys; other substances are used that work quite well and look as good.
    sazure Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
    Not so - there is a ban but one has to know many details about selling pre ban ivory.

See -

The Ins and Outs of Ivory Law

http://www.coupdefoudre.com/Ivory.html

This site is helpful.

Ivory identification, appraisal, sales and pre-ban services | Ivory Experts

If you lack paperwork to prove that your ivory is legal, Ivory Experts will help you determine what documentation you need to sell, insure, transfer, or donate the object and process it for you.

Ivory identification, appraisal, sales and pre-ban services[/QUOTE]
    Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
    Sazure, thanks for the links; good info but this is an old thread. I wish you would start your own and put these links in so everyone can read them.
    sazure Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Well I found it! (and created an account for any one else to find it) - I am too busy trying to sell my own inherited piece which obviously until now had no idea of all the complications. I am a strong animal activist as well and am aghast at what is occurring to the amazing animals - the new ban is actually making it worse. Like fish species going extinct - it only drives up the value. If when I do sell it going to give income to favorite elephant charity - the whole things disgust me and I just want it gone

If you wish you can share the info.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
    Thank you sazure

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sell ivory piano keys? [ 14 Answers ]

Our local hall have been trying to figure out the best way to dispose of an old piano which is no longer in use because it has nothing going for it when it comes to playing it. It was decided we try to sell the keys separately to make some money for the hall but no one knew whether this was legal...

Can you sell piano key ivory? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a piano that's around 100 years old. It was not taken care of and hardly any of the keys work. I have had it worked on numerous times, but can no longer afford to repair it. There is genuine ivory on each of the keys. I have been told there is a market for the old ivory but have no idea...

Can you sell piano key ivory? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a piano that's around 100 years old. It was not taken care of and hardly any of the keys work. I have had it worked on numerous times, but can no longer afford to repair it. There is genuine ivory on each of the keys. I have been told there is a market for the old ivory but have no idea...

Taxing income from foreing real state sell [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a US citizen since 2004. My husband and I file for taxes jointly. I'm originally from Paraguay (South America). I had bought a piece of land (with the help of my family) in Paraguay when I was still single. I sold the piece of land in Nov.2008. How do I report it? Could I treat this as a family...

View more questions Search