Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebecca93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Dark brown/red hair, want it to be light brown?
    Below is a url to a photo of how my hair use to be, I'm the one on the LEFT.
    This is the colour I want to go back to (my natural).. my hair colour now is a dark brown/mahogany. (as dark as 4.0 but with red in it)
    I had my hair platinum blonde but then decided to go brown again. (I cut all my hair off also)
    My sister did it as she is a hairdresser, but it came too red because we filled it and she didn't realise the actual brown colour had red in it. So she put a 4.0 on top of it but it is still red!
    My hair is in good condition, so I'm not worried about that...
    Some people have said to use a medium ash blonde, or ash brown to get rid of the red and lighten it, but others have said it will turn green?
    I need too know what I can do to achieve this colour :)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...againsmall.jpg

PLEASE HELP!
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 11, 2008, 09:31 PM
    I Am Not Seeing The Picture You Posted Here, But Remember That Color Doesn't Lift Color... you May Be Able To Lighten A Shade Or Two But Not A lot. Green Is The Color That Neutralizes Red, So Go To A Beauty Supply Store And Get A Color Two Shades Lighter That Yours But With A Green Base... use A 20 Volume Developer... it Sounds Funny But I Know My Color! It May Or May Not Lighten It A Little But Should Help Neutralize Some Of The Red. Also, I Would Highly Recommend You Use A Reconstructing Conditioner Once Or Twice A Week After All This...
    rebecca93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 03:40 AM
    I see where you are coming from,
    I know a fair bit about colour,
    So I understand what your saying.
    I just wasn't sure how to counteract the red reflect I have in my hair.
    I just want it about two shades lighter anyway.
    So thank you so much for your help!
    ravibohra Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 21, 2008, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca93
    below is a url to a photo of how my hair use to be, im the one on the LEFT.
    this is the colour i want to go back to (my natural).. my hair colour now is a dark brown/mahogany. (as dark as 4.0 but with red in it)
    i had my hair platinum blonde but then decided to go brown again. (i cut all my hair off also)
    my sister did it as she is a hairdresser, but it came too red because we filled it and she didnt realise the actual brown colour had red in it. so she put a 4.0 on top of it but it is still red!
    my hair is in good condition, so im not worried about that...
    some people have said to use a medium ash blonde, or ash brown to get rid of the red and lighten it, but others have said it will turn green?
    i need too know what i can do to achieve this colour :)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...againsmall.jpg

PLEASE HELP!
    Hi dear,
    If you want to really make your hair in red colour than use HENNA (mhandi)
    Natural and very safe
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Unfortunately you won't be able to do this without removing some of that dark color first. Yes , you can tone down the red and maybe lighten a little with a green based color but you definitely won't get that light. Try this first... use a clarifying shampoo with about a tablespoon of baking soda mixed it and leave it on 10 minutes, rinse. Do this several times , preferably over a few days, and condition well after. This will remove some of that red pigment. Get a green based color , level 6, and 30 volume... mix according to directions and process 30 to 40 minutes. If this does enough for you to live with it for a while, get a reconstructing condtioner and do 2 or 3 tretments a week to re-stregnthen your hair so you can try to lighten some more later... good luck
    sarah. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 03:29 AM
    I have dark blonde hair naturally and I decided about a year ago to go jet black, after dying it permanately black every 5/6 weeks for a year I wanted to go back to my natural colour. I used colour before extra colour remover by scott cornwall. I had to use it a couple of times, but it totally cleared all the colour out of my hair. And there's no bleach or anything in it so it didn't damage my hair, my hair is actually in better condition now x
    nicole38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
    I know what your going threw.A friend of mine that works in a salon.Just done my hair yesterday and when I woke up my hair was orange.I washed it twice and it looked like my hair was on fire.I went to a beauty supply store and the lady gave me a light brown and 20 vol. developer.Now I am waiting to see what it looks like.Also wanted a pixie cut and she cut it to short.If this don't work on the color I don't know what I'll do and my hair normally is black.I don't really want to go back but if I have to that will be fine.37 year old women that looks like a freak now.LOL.
    shaunaxox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
    I have a reddish brown colour hair, and I have put a light blonde on it it was champainge blonde. My roots went a blonde ginger colour and my hair just lightened. It wasn't the best of ideas. I went to my hair dressers and they said that if they do it and it doesn't go the right colour they will re do it until it goes the right colour for free of charge so you may want to try going to your hair dressers. :)
    hannahspanner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Hi How do you know if a colour has a green bas? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I dye dark hair light brown? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. My hair is naturally dark brown. Over the years i've had streaks put it in. The other day i had enough of my dark roots, so i wanted to dye all my hair lightbrown. As usual it went dark dark brown almost black. i hated it. :mad: The next day i dyed it with a lighter colour hoping it would...

Dying my dark brown hair light brown. [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown....

Dark blonde/light brown to dark brown hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hey! My hair color is dark blond or a really light brown.. I-m not sure and I want to dye it dark brown? Is it safe? Or will I be getting a reddish color after a few washes? My natural hair is light brown but I dyed it.. a medium chocolate the stylist said but it really turned out to be a blondish...

From Dark Blonde to Dark Brown back to Light Brown [ 1 Answers ]

I recently lightened my already color-treated brown hair to a dark blonde color. I decided it looked unnatural and decided to dye it back brown. I picked up a light brown dye from the local beauty supply store and it came out way darker than I wanted or expected with a hint of green, and now I...

View more questions Search