Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldensydney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Taxes from 401K
    My husbnd and I are retired and make 58K ayear. If I cash in 16K from my 401K plan how much federal income tax and Minnesota income tax do I have them hold out to pay the taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 05:45 AM

When you make the withdrawal the administartor should withhold 20% of it for federal taxes, and nothing for state income taxes. The 20% is probably more than you will actually owe, as a married couple in the $74K income range is in the 15% bracket. As for MN, their tax rate for someone with your income is between 7.05% and 7.85%, so you should plan on owing them about $1200 on this withdrawal. You should look into whether you should file an estimated income tax form with MN by January so as to avoid the possibility of owing interest due to underpayment of taxes durng the course of the year.
    gknutson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Thanks - if someone wants to pull out MN taxes early on their 401K distribution, which form should we complete? I know that the 5329 will suppliment when completing taxes in the new year but what about now? Principal sent me a W-4P form and I'm not certain that it's the correct form.

Thanks again!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Form 5329 is to calculate additional taxes that are due on your 401(k) distribution above and beyond regular income tax, if any (for example for early withdrawal penalty). It is NOT a form for specifying additional withholding from the distribution for state income tax purposes. W-4P is the form to use if you want more than 20% withheld for federal taxes, but again doesn't do anything for MN state tax withhlding.

I suggest you talk to the plan administrator and see if they can withhold MN taxes for you. Or else you can simply file an estimated tax form with MN and send them the money yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

401k taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Could I rollover my 20% tax into an IRA?

Taxes on 401k [ 7 Answers ]

I will be divorcing my husband of 27 years. It will not be finalized until April 2008. In the divorce I got a $670,000.00 settlement from his 401k. It was rolled over to a new account. I am going to pull some money out. I don't have to pay the early withdrawl penalty. My question is. When I pull...

Taxes and 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 401K with a balance of $100,000 that I've designated to pay off my son's college education debts. I have other investments and a fixed annuity for my own retirement. I owe $74,000 to Sallie Mae in PLUS education loans. I want to cash in the 401k and use the funds to pay off the Sallie...

401K to pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for early withdraw on a 401k to pay a past tax lien?

View more questions Search