Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dx4530 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
    What will happen if I wire a hot in both terminals of a 110 outlet ?
    Why did my 110 receptacle outlet work at half strength even though both terminals where connected with hot wires (instead of 1 neutral ,1 hot) how is this possible? There is no complete circuit and if it did work why did my stuff that I plugged in to the outlet work weakly for example I tested a light bulb in it was very dim... what the heck is going on ANYONE EXPLAIN PLEASE ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Under no circumstances are you to place two hot wires on the same 120 volt receptacle. If the breakers happen to on different phases at the main panelboard, you will fry everything you plug in. If they are on the same phase you will have a zero difference of potential and it will not work because you have no Neutral return circuit.

Putting two hot leads is effectively making the outlet a 240 Volt outlet.

To get 120 volts, you must use the Neutral (White) conductor.

Explanation:

The Utility company delivers two hot conductors each 120 volts. By adding the two together you get 240 volts.

At the transformer, a Neutral is placed in the exact middle (Neutral Point) to create the 120 volt phases being sent to the home.

That's what you get coming into the main panelboard. You have an "A" phase, a "B" phase and a "C" Neutral.

Typically you only use 240 volt for "Speciality" circuits such a clothes dryers, water heaters, HVAC, stoves/ovens.

Now, if I were in Europe / UK, then I would be using a 240 volt system, but I am here in the U.S.A.
    greattigers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Actually you just connected one hot terminal in one receptacle, for some reasons there is a little bit difference of voltage during the winding circuits, so the light bulb is dim. If you insert two phase hot lines in one receptacle, the voltage will be 240, the light bulb will burst after plugged in.
    Just replace one hot line on the left side with another neutral line (white ), you will be fine.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:52 PM
    greattigers, please check the dates of the posts you are replying to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is wire getting hot in outlet box? [ 4 Answers ]

This is my dryer outlet, I noticed a plastic smell today and found this plus the side of cover was slightly melted. This can't be normal, does anyone know what might be the problem? On a 30 amp breaker pole

Al wire on old trailer home, 120v on breaker but 50v on hot wire to outlet. [ 2 Answers ]

Al wire on old trailer home, 120v on breaker but 50v on hot wire to outlet.

Reconnected wire to outlet of furnace hot water temperature decreased [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We had lost power a few days ago so we hooked the wire of the furnace to an outlet to plug it into the generator. Running it on the generator it took a lot more time to warm the house and the water temperature of our showers has decreased. It was better to have any heat and hot water so...

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

12 Gage wire 110 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

What amp breaker should I use for a out side 110 outlet using 12 gage wire.Used for plugging in vacuum cleaner to clean cars.

View more questions Search