Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Trying to remove motor oil stain off asphalt driveway
    I'm trying to remove a motor oil stain from an asphalt driveway. Are there any products that'll do the trick? I tried using dish liquid and water but it didn't work. The stain has been set in for awhile. Thanks!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
    My experience is in building roads (mostly asphalt and some concrete) and getting oil stains off asphalt roadways is not a big concern for states and counties, except of course oil spills due to safety concerns. If you search you will find plenty of suggestions but I don't have much confidence that many of them will work.
    Depending on how worn and/or how old the asphalt material is will have a lot of impact on success or not. If the stone aggregate is worn, the oil will have coated the stone.
    Have you considered having the driveway sealed with a fresh coat of sealer? I have a fairly large driveway and had it sealed for about $200. If you shop around you may find a pretty good deal. Prices vary greatly in my area.
    Consider that if you do find a cleanser that lightens the oil stain, it may stand out as much or more as the stain did. It may be worthwhile to talk to some of the sealant contractors to see if they have any suggestions other than totally spraying the entire driveway. That's about all that I can offer.
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
    Thanks! After reading the many concoctions and trying what seemed as the most promising, and seeing that it didn't work, I became skeptical myself. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New asphalt driveway? [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, I just had my drive paved last week and while washing my car, noticed that some of the Water seemed to soak into the surface while some ran off. Is this normal?

Oil stain on aslphalt liability (driveway) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My car started leaking oil onto an asphalt driveway. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this was that very recently a rock or something hit the bottom of my car as I was driving and must have damaged the oil pan or something similar. The property is part of a community so I...

New asphalt driveway [ 6 Answers ]

I just had a new asphalt driveway installed yesterday. How lond do I need to wait before I should drive on it? Thanks

Should I resurface my asphalt driveway or get a complete new asphalt driveway [ 3 Answers ]

My asphalt driveway looks so bad that my insurance company has considered it a serious hazard. Do I resurface the existing driveway. I have a contractor telling me that he would level the existing driveway and place a 2 inch top coat of asphalt on top. Will a resurface last just as long as a...

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

View more questions Search