Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pylepdc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Odd burning smell in house
    Hello, I am looking for some advice. In our house, we experience a very strong burning smell (like burning wires). Now, this smell mainly occurs on hot, humid days from mid May through September. The smell only happens between 8:30 pm to 10 pm. We first notice this smell on the 2nd floor, then in the two areas of the house where the ceiling is open to the 2nd floor. The smell will stay pretty much confined to just the hallway area, and not go into the 2nd floor rooms. The smell will last about 15 to 20 minutes, then leave. The smell tends to happen a couple of days in a row, then we will not notice it for about a week or two. This is going on the third summer of noticing this smell.

We have had two different HVAC companies out to look at this. The first company replaced the motor in the upstairs unit (we have two units, one in the basement and one in the attic). Although, the motor did not look that bad, plus the smell came right back in about a week. The second company inspected both units and again found nothing wrong with either units (no smell inside or any sign of burn marks) nor wiring to the units. We had the recessed lights checked on the second floor and nothing was found wrong. We do change the filters regularly and will still notice this smell after one is changed.

Unfortunately, none of the companies were here to experience the smell. Since the smell only lasts about 15 to 20 minutes, it would almost be pointless to call someone to come check it out.

So, any advice or pointers. We would love to hear them since we are going nuts thinking what could be a possibility

Thanks for the help
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2010, 03:26 AM
    Turn the heating system off before the time you smell the whatever, see if it still there, if it was coming from the heating equipment it would seem it would be in all the rooms that have heat vents
    Azhlin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 01:51 AM
    Pylepdc, You should get a medium or Psychic to your house. Trust Me.
    ICANANSWERIT100 Posts: 14, Reputation: -1

Aug 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Did you check all the wires in the house by sniffing them?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Yeah... this was asked on May 27 of 2010... I'm guessing they either solved it or the house burned down by now.
    Gwama G Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 05:50 PM
    Hopefully you found out what it was. For anyone else who googled "burned smell in house":
    Could be metal thieves burning copper wire. If you have wooded or abandoned areas near you metal thieves may be using them to burn the insulation off wires and cables.
    We have a real problem in our area. There are established burn sites where they burn all the time. They burn small amounts for many hours (little smoke), usually at night. People don't report it because it is so constant and because it doesn't smell like you would expect, like only plastic. Until I started using air purifiers, I only smelled it when I came back in my house after being gone for a few hours. Took me more than a year to figure out what it was. In the daytime, the smell wasn’t outside, only in my house.

What you describe, the few minutes of smell in the late evening, could be the surge of smoke when they first start up. It is part wood smoke, part something toxic smelling.

They steal different kinds of cable and wire so the smell can change. Sometimes, it smells like a really dirty oven on self-clean, or like a barbecue grill being burned off after it sat all winter with rancid grease and mold. Other times it is a toxic chemical kind of smell.
    Think about it. The news is full of reports about the massive amounts of metal theft, particularly wire. Where are they burning all that wire?

In my community, it is in the woods behind a rental trailer, surrounded by subdivisions full of children and families. Because this is their “business”, they have gotten really clever about disguising the burn location (like two older burn barrels as decoys) so even when enforcement is called, they don’t find anything. If you are in a rural area, you are even more likely to have a wire burning site nearby.

If the odd burning smell is outdoors, please report it, even if you aren't sure what it is or where it is coming from!! 
There isn't a "they" out there automatically dealing with this. They only investigate when people complain about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I smell a burning/smokey smell in our non-smoking home/no fire-place home? [ 1 Answers ]

We do not smoke or have a fire place in our home. We have hot water- baseboard heat fueled by oil with a flute which exits out the basement wall from the boiler. We have had a burning, smokey smell over the last several weeks. We replaced the exhaust fan to the flute. No improvement in odor. ...

Odd Smell from A/C [ 3 Answers ]

Hvacservicetech_07, this one is up your ally. I have a 6month old 5ton Carrier brand new unit, when running the heating system during the winter all was fine. We switch it to A/C and right away an odd smell permeates from every vent. It smells like a wet dog, or a kid that had been out side...

Odd smell in the water? [ 5 Answers ]

It comes and goes, but it seems to have stuck around for a while this time. It kind of smells like onions lol. Mostly noticeable when you turn on the shower... but sometimes you can smell it in a glass of ice water... Is there something that I can do to get rid of this without having to go for...

Odd smell in house? [ 1 Answers ]

Before the smell we had our monthly checking for mice and bugs. As almost always they didn't find anything but he sprayed this stuff that kills them around the house, this odd smell is all around the house except in a few rooms that there doors were closed and were not sprayed in. It's not as...

View more questions Search