Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kohala55 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Fan will not turn on central air conditioner
    My central air fan will not turn on I had my capacitor check and it is OK I have another big thing that look like a big capacitor but it wires do not go to the fan I took it off to check it to but it is Sunday. I also took the fan off and was going to have it check on Monday. The air conditioner is a Signature very old but has always run good and it is my mother and father and they are 85 and not a whole lot of money to put in a new one in. There are no wires off I check. The compressor comes on but the fan does not. It runs all the time when the air conditioner runs and every thing is turn on at the thermostat so that is OK. Does anyone know how I can check that fan motor with out an ome miter or a volt meter. And what else could it be or am I doing this right. Also what is the big thing I took off that looks like a big capacitor it has the name fuse on it and that is all I can read it is rusted.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 6, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Is this the inside fan or outside fan?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
    I'm assuming the big capacitor is for the compressor and the small one is the fan, usually they just use a split to do both. Can you easily turn the fan by hand? Or is it tight? You are talking about the fan on the air conditioner?. right? Give us a little more info if you can.

May 7, 2007, 07:28 PM
    The fan turn easy and this is a central air conditioner.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
    I'm guessing the "big thing" is the capacitor for the compressor. How do you know the capacitor for the fan is good? Does the fan move at all when you turn the power on? Does it make any sound at all? I would start by replacing the capacitor if the fan motor feels free. I really don't know what else to tell you to do without a voltage meter. Make sure the wires for the fan are making a good connection at the contactor. Does the unit ever trip a breaker? Try not running very much without the fan you may damage the compressor. Get back to me and give me as much info as possible. I'll try to help.

May 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
    I had the capacitor check and it is good. The other thing is not the compresor it look like another capacitor. The copresor turn on but the fan does not.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Well if you have checked everything else then I would say you have a bad fan motor.

May 9, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Thank you very much
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
    HVAC 07 has it, Make sure you wire motor for correct rotation. Could be yellow and purple or something like that, connectors should be obvious.
    vc509 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 07:35 PM
    I'm having the same problem mine is outside and if I try to turn the fan myself its pretty hard. I also checked the capasitor and its not bulging and I believe the compressor is also good
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Sounds like the Fan is bad if it is hard to turn. After installing new motor, and capacitor for the new motor, be sure the air is blowing out the top, if not, you have to swap 2 wires to reverse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display...

Central air conditioner unit outside problems [ 7 Answers ]

At the end of the season last year we noticed in the central air conditioning unit outside that there was a clicking noise and then smelled like something burning. I am worried about this and what it may be? Cost wise? And going to have to do something since the hot weather will be here very soon....

Compressor on central air conditioner [ 6 Answers ]

The compressor on my central air conditioner tries to come on but won't. I hear it trying to come on. The unit is attached to a "Beat The Peak" system. Could that be causing the unit to not come on?

Trane air conditioner fan blower mower sticks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trane split unit A/C wall mounted. The A/C works fine but I noticed that when the unit is turned off and then I go to turn it on the next day, I can't hear the fan blower running but the unit is powered on. So, I shut the unit off and remove the cover over the fan blower and notice that...

Central air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

The circuit breaker in the house was tripped for the air conditioner. I turned it back on and the fan to the outside unit is not turning on. How do you turn that back on?

View more questions Search