Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenbscleaning Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
    What to charge for a construction clean up?
    I'm doing research on starting a construction clean up business? I have no clue what to charge.. I've read everything from .15 to 1.50 per sq ft... I have a great friend who owns a construction business who said she would sub ne out to clean and asked me what I would charge... HELP? I live in northern Michigan ( by BEAUTIFUL torch lake) if that helps to determine a price
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
    I would check for pricing of the disposal of different types of debris(Construction garbage, Yard Debris?),
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
    HI Queen,

Construction cleaning varies depending on what you have to do;

Broom clean- Final clean up, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, etc.

First clean- Removal of heavy debris, removal of paint stains, etc plus broom cleaning.

High cleaning- cleaning of ceiling pipes, vents, lighting, high windows, etc.

So as you can see your response should be 'exactly what type of construction cleaning?'

Pricing is always your decision in the end however, I will offer some suggestions:

1. Make sure that you have liability insurance and that you are incorporated. If you do not, mark my words Queen you will be sorry at some point. And most clients want you to have them.

Broom cleaning = $0.28 sq ft Chicago area suburbs.

First clean= $0.35 sq ft PLUS any other expenses such as a dumpster, etc and possible disposal of said debris to a dump.

High cleaning= $0.45 sq ft PLUS any expenses such as scissor lift, etc.

Each will include general cleaning such as the broom cleaning.

Add up all your expenses: insurance, labor, taxes, admin (over head), equipment, supplies, profit etc. and the break it down to the square foot to get a more accurate figure. Remember to cover everything.

Should you have more questions let me know...

Stringer
    queenbscleaning Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Hi Stringer,

Thank you very much for information. It helps a lot.

When I go to do a bid and get the specs. I may ask for your help o determine price if that is all right.
    Business Expert

Aug 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Hi Queen,

That would be fine.

Sometimes they don't have specs for construction clean ups... important ask exactly what they want and take copious notes.

Stringer
    MicahBB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Construction cleaning can be bid at those prices and sometimes you may get someone to pay that high on small projects, residential housing...
    Construction cleanup is not rocket science, but it does entail a lot of trial and error in pricing. The best way I have found is to walk through and detail each specific job that will need to be done... then calculate how long it would take one person to do each specific job, getting you a total man hours... Calculate cost of tools, material, insurance, hard hats, gas, administrative costs. Add these to your figure based on how long you will work on this project. Then divide total by how many square feet the project entails. This should give you an accurate measurement of cost... once that is determined then you need to figure out market rates in your local areas... (My experience calling other cleaning contractors does not give you an accurate assessment, contact building contractors)...
    This is a good field, but experience is really the best way to bid construction cleanup jobs... stay focused on specific tasks, clean whole areas and work out a way to imedietely have a write off on that area... (many times other contractors will mess your clean rooms up... this can be very expensive... so communicate this with the builder)...
    Business Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahBB View Post
    Construction cleaning can be bid at those prices and sometimes you may get someone to pay that high on small projects, residential housing.....
    Construction cleanup is not rocket science, but it does entail alot of trial and error in pricing. The best way I have found is to walk through and detail each specific job that will need to be done.... then calculate how long it would take one person to do each specific job, getting you a total man hours..... Calculate cost of tools, material, insurance, hard hats, gas, administrative costs. Add these to your figure based on how long you will work on this project. Then divide total by how many square feet the project entails. This should give you an accurate measurement of cost.... once that is determined then you need to figure out market rates in your local areas.... (My experience calling other cleaning contractors does not give you an accurate assessment, contact building contractors)....
    This is a good field, but experience is really the best way to bid construction cleanup jobs.... stay focused on specific tasks, clean whole areas and work out a way to imedietely have a write off on that area... (many times other contractors will mess your clean rooms up... this can be very expensive... so comunicate this with the builder)....
    Not bad advice Micah.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge to clean new construction home 1200 sq ft./ final clean [ 7 Answers ]

I'm bidding to clean a new construction home 1200 sq ft for final clean-up. How much do I charge? I did a walk through the house and there is tape on the edges of carpet as well as clear plastic cover which seals the top of carpet to be removed, labels on windows, appliances, bathtubs, and...

How much do you charge for construction clean up [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about charing to clean a new constrution home aboht 4500 sq ft

How much do I charge a storage building for a new construction clean? [ 2 Answers ]

The building is brand new. It has 325 units and is 40,000sq/ft in rentable space. How much should I charge them per square footage? I do not want to overcharge since I already have a sister company of theirs and am pending one more. They need the floors cleared of dirt with all of the walls. I may...

I am bidding for a construction clean up have 37,000 sg ft, how much do I charge. [ 7 Answers ]

This will be the final cleaning needs vacuum and moping all and dusting shelves.it's in Florida

I am bidding for a construction clean up have 37,000 sg ft, how much do I charge. [ 1 Answers ]

I am bidding for a construction clean up that have 37,000 sq ft. Need vacuum mopping and lots of dusting. How much do I charge?

View more questions Search