Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jammie0781 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Will Lamictal show up on a blood test?
    I am on 125mg of Lamictal and would like to know if it will show up in a blood test? Or if the blood test will show that I am on something, enough to take a more thorough blood test?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Typically the reactive byproducts will show up, not the drug itself. What is your concern? If prescribed, show the people testing your doctors prescription. If this is for a job and the condition for which you are taking Lamictal is not allowed, then it will most likely show up. Please explain your worry.

Aug 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
    It is not for a job. It is for an egg donation. A possible egg donation. I am guessing it is a standard blood test not checking for this medication in particular. I would like to point out I am not asking if it is morally right to do an egg donation while on Lamictal, I am only asking if it will show up in a blood test. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. It is much appreciated. I am still going to ask a nurse, just seeing if I can get some information online also. Thanks again.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 08:11 PM
    I was not considering the morality, I was thinking about jobs-CDL's, Airline pilots etc, where using the medicine, particularly for epilepsy, may keep you from the job.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammie0781 View Post
    I am on 125mg of Lamictal and would like to know if it will show up in a blood test? Or if the blood test will show that I am on something, enough to take a more thorough blood test?
    The only analytes that can show up are those specifically tested for. Lamictal (lamotrigine) is an antiepileptic drug (AED) of the phenyltriazine class. Neither the drug nor that class of drug would be detected unless specifically tested for.

There are a couple of reports of lamotrigine use causing a false-positive result for PCP on a rapid urine toxicology screen but that would not occur with a blood test.

Aug 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    The only analytes that can show up are those specifically tested for. Lamictal (lamotrigine) is an antiepileptic drug (AED) of the phenyltriazine class. Neither the drug nor that class of drug would be detected unless specifically tested for.

There are a couple of reports of lamotrigine use causing a false-positive result for PCP on a rapid urine toxicology screen but that would not occur with a blood test.
    Thank you for the answer. It was very helpful. I have done some research and the blood test will most likely be testing the following: "blood hormone tests to evaluate her estrogen (E2), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and prolactin levels. Additional blood tests include blood typing, a complete blood count (CBC) and screening for +Rh (Rhesus factor), cystic fibrosis, HIV, hepatitis, and syphilis" So with those should I be safe in regards to the Lamictal showing up? Sorry for going so in depth with this. Is just something that is important I know before getting the blood test. Thanks so much for your time.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammie0781 View Post
    Thank you for the answer. It was very helpful. I have done some research and the blood test will most likely be testing the following: "blood hormone tests to evaluate her estrogen (E2), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and prolactin levels. Additional blood tests include blood typing, a complete blood count (CBC) and screening for +Rh (Rhesus factor), cystic fibrosis, HIV, hepatitis, and syphilis" So with those should I be safe in regards to the Lamictal showing up? Sorry for going so in depth with this. Is just something that is important I know before getting the blood test. Thanks so much for your time.
    Blood testing ordered by a physician for medical diagnostic purposes is very specific and should not be confused with drug screening (unless that is the specific purpose). Clearly it is not in this case.

The testing you are referring to will detect and quantify those items appertaining to the conditions outlined down the low level of picograms but nothing more. Once again nothing to do with drug screening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative blood test and urine test! [ 11 Answers ]

Hey umm I am 3 and a half months late for my period. And I have taken several home pregnancy test and 1 blood test... all negative.during the 1st month I lost weight and now I have gained weight... just like when I was pregnant with my son. Who is almost 10 months. I've never ever been late...

Can you be pregnant if a home test and a blood test say no [ 2 Answers ]

Well back in July I took a at home test it said yes went to the er and the blood test said no but I'm gaining weight like crazy and eating foods I normaly don't like can I be pregnant even though the er test said no

I'm two weeks late with my period heaps of crampin done blood test and urine test but [ 1 Answers ]

The tests were negative am I pankin too much!

Blood Results show Protein in my blood? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what that could mean or be a sign of? What is this doctor testing for?

View more questions Search