Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelinthedark Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 10:13 PM
    Circuit breaker reset but still no power after trying to replace a light switch.
    Was replacing a light switch in our powder room when light in the kitchen turned off. I might have a short circuit and tripped circuit breaker. So, checked my circuit breaker panel, but nothing is in the "off" position. Reset the circuit breaker anyway, by turning all switch to "off" and " on" again (including the main switch), but still no power. Any suggestion, please.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 10:27 PM
    Describe the wires in the switch box.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Describe the wires in the switch box.
    We have an old house, the switch has 4 black wires.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
    Look closely, two should be white and two should be black.

If wiring really old might be hard to tell. Two should be in one cable and the other two should be in other cable.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:37 PM
    By wires do you mean cables? A wire is a single wire. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
    By wires do you mean cables? A wire is a single wire. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering.
    Since its too old, I looks all black to me, but wires, hard thick ones. After I reset the c. breaker and the light didn't turn on, I didn't continue with the installation, thinking this is what is causing the problem, I just put elect tape and made sure they were separated... then, tried to reset the breaker again, but still no power, kitchen light, powder room light, microwave, and porch light & outlet.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
    Problem is not the breakers. Problem is in the wiring in the switch box.

Tell me if you mean 4 wires or 4 cables. You should have had two wire connected to the switch. Other wire should have been connected together. What did you find and what did you do.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelinthedark View Post
    Since its too old, I looks all black to me, but wires, hard thick ones. After I reset the c. breaker and the light didn't turn on, I didn't continue with the installation, thinking this is what is causing the problem, I just put elect tape and made sure they were separated... then, tried to reset the breaker again, but still no power, kitchen light, powder room light, microwave, and porch light & outlet.
    My main concern tonight is how to put the power back on. Does leaving the wires open affect the resetting of the circuit breaker? This is my mom's house and I'm just helping her out, but I guess I'm not at all helping. What else can I do to properly reset the c. breaker and have power?

Aug 9, 2012, 10:57 PM
    Only way is to reconnect the wires.

Aug 9, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Only way is to reconnect the wires.
    Oh OK, it's too dark here, wish I could send you a pix, of the wire, the switch I was replacing and the replacement. I guess I'm going to check it again tomorrow. But what I did is, put the wires in the exact position where they were in the old switch. Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean when you reset a circuit breaker won [ 1 Answers ]

I came home from work and my pool pumpm was off, I turned the switch to off and went to reset the breaker and it will not reset could the breaker be bad?

Single switch for a living room light always trips circuit breaker when turned on... [ 1 Answers ]

We have a single ceiling light in our living room controlled by a single light switch. Since moving into this house we have found that if we try to turn it on it flips the circuit breaker. If we turn it off again and flip the circuit breaker back on the rest of the lights in the circuit work fine....

Circuit Breaker Trips When Light Switch Pushed In [ 11 Answers ]

I have a light switch that trips the breaker when the light switch is pushed in to the box, but not when it is pulled out and hanging. I left it live just now as I tried to push it back into the box and as I pushed it sparked and tripped the breaker. How do I fix this?

Light switch shorts out circuit breaker [ 13 Answers ]

Sorry!! :D Wrong category. :o This is mighty dump of me to begin with. I was switching my two switches left to right and the metal part of the switch touched the positive screw. :eek: Yes. I did not switch off the circuit breaker. :p I thought it was no big deal because I was just...

Light switch trips circuit breaker [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought a house and there is a set of 3 light switches two of them look exactly the same and work perfectly fine, but the third on looks different and when you flip the switch on it trips the breakers for the entire living room. What could be the problem and is there an easy fix?

View more questions Search