Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rslawson52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire
    Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire
    rslawson52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 12:07 PM

Which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 04:14 PM

None. Ground is either green or bare.

How do you have two blacks but only one white? Is there a splice in the box?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 06:15 PM

You may have 2 hots and a shared neutral without a ground. How old is the wiring? Pre 1950?
    csmcmullin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
    I have the same issue... 2 switches with 2 blacks leading in and only one white :P Very confused, hopefully someone can help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
    See comments above, applies to your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you wire a 3 way switch - black screw connected to white wire is this right? [ 28 Answers ]

I have a 3 way switch I am replacing. It has 4 wires coming out of the outlet. The top two terminals I am going to wire Red left and Black right. The bottom two terminals will be ground left and white right on the black screw terminal. This does not seem right, but an electrician said it is...

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

How do you wire a single switch (1 black 1 white 1 ground) to a 5 wire hunter remote? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing ceiling fan operated off a single switch (1-black, 1-white, and ground). I am trying to install a hunter ceiling fan remote (model 27157) with 5 wires (1-black/white, 1-red, 1 black, and 2-white commons). I have tried several combinations of wiring, including the recommended...

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

View more questions Search